06, Explorer, 4.0, 9Kmi, GC0-40, MC-820

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stretched it out to 9k mi this time.... The filter (in spite of taking a lot of heat in recent years) did very well. I think it looks good for this type of mileage over a span of a year, but I will be cutting it down a bit.

Google Drive

I thought maybe just longer idle times over the year, resulting in lower oil pressure during those times, mixed with a lower viscosity toward the end of the OCI with a bit of fuel added then add a few higher RPM runs lately ???

We can say the oil is good fro 10K, but how can we gauge the time frame of that 10k, and also consider driving habits and terrain ??

I don't really know..... just throwing [censored] against the wall I guess...

What I cant fully grasp is Titanium ? Why did it go down with the same oil, Titanium wont "shear" ? The only thing I can figure is it was left over from oil 2 OCI's back ???

Nothing noticeable with the engine as far as issues or noise though....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wsar10
What I cant fully grasp is Titanium ? Why did it go down with the same oil,

Castrol has been mucking with titanium amounts in their oils. The latest Edge has very little of it. Edge EP has a bit more, and Edge HM has yet more.

Looks like no Titanium.
Looks like no Moly.
Looks like a reasonable amount of Zinc.

My guess would be that Castrol is experimenting with the anti-wear properties of adding a healthy dose of Iron into their oils.

Ahhhh Castrol, an oil in a class all it's own.

10W30 PYB would have blown this GC out of the water for much less $$$ in an 06 Ford.

This is nearly the same mileage I ran a MC820 that failed on my car. People were telling me that was 'too long'.
Just like I thought, I didn't think so.

The iron is wierd, but it could be just a fluke.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What I cant fully grasp is Titanium ? Why did it go down with the same oil,

Castrol has been mucking with titanium amounts in their oils. The latest Edge has very little of it. Edge EP has a bit more, and Edge HM has yet more.

I forgot to mention that there were also some early batches of Edge 0w-40 that contained no titanium at all. If that's what you used in this latest OCI, then the 7 ppm of ti that you see on the report may just be leftover from a previous fill.

I have an '02 Explorer with the same motor in it. I've been using mobil 1 ep for about 10 years in it, and my oci is anywhere between 10-12 k miles. I've never done a UOA on it, but it has 180k miles on it, idles and runs like new, doesn't use any oil between changes, and doesn't have any funny startup noises. I don't think those motors are particularly hard on oil, at least that's my experience.I'd like to get another 100k out of it before I have to replace it. But in reality , I would bet the trans or something else will go before the motor does.,,,

Also worth mentioning, the first UOA was with GC 0-40 and a MC filter also.

Why ?
I would end up with a 20wt by 4k mi.....

Originally Posted By: tig1
Perhaps you could consider using a 0-30 or 5-30 oil instead of a 40.

Why ?

You would? Why?

Gee, I don't even in a much longer OCI in my BMW. Or are you just making that up?

The iron is not linear at all so I too am a little perplexed by it. Start up wear due to the thicker oil?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Why ?

You would? Why?

Gee, I don't even in a much longer OCI in my BMW. Or are you just making that up?

I dont think you can compare shearing as linear across different engine types.

To answer your question, ultimately I am assuming, I truly do not know. TO answer how I figure this would happen is because the 40wt shears to a 30 wt in 4k mi (first UOA). I forget my total reason for using a 40wt years back in this... (too many vehicle to keep track of), I know it was partially due to longer idle times and IIRC a guy here at work talking about oil PSI issues with theses motors at idle.. I just cannot recall all of the info.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The iron is not linear at all so I too am a little perplexed by it. Start up wear due to the thicker oil?

KC, I figured thats where the above comment was going, my hang up there is... Why not in the first UOA with the same oil ? Or others ? Considering the oil would have thinned in the longer OCI you would think the start up wear would reduce BASED ON that theory of the oil being to heavy ??

I dont know... It did cross my mind though.

Why ?

Originally Posted By: tig1
Perhaps you could consider using a 0-30 or 5-30 oil instead of a 40.

After 9K the 40 stayed in grade. Try a 30 and see. I don't see where your iron can go much higher. Just a thought.

Is it possible the iron is coming from rust that can form on the dome end cap on the outlet side of the filter?

I have observed rust on one virgin cut & post of a recent MC FL 820S. I have two new ones left in my stash, one with rust and one without rust.

You can spot the rust with a pre install inspection.

Is it OK to run a filter with rust on the outlet side?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back