Should I sell now because of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changing the plugs for the first time on the Escalade I find what looks like an exhaust manifold bolt sheared off.
20160313_161458_zpskvovez7b.jpg

The truck doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil. Currently going through the vehicle changing all the fluids... transmission, transfer case, diff, etc. Spending several hundred dollars getting the trucks air suspension in working order for another hopefully 7 or 8 years of use.

But.. I see this bolts and wonder if the repair will be so costly that I should just sell it right now. Is this the beginning of a serious problem and I should get out now? Or is it repairable without thousands of dollars?

That's pretty common unfortunately. You can DIY, in fact there are videos on the web that show how. It's not a terrible job and if you're mechanically inclined you can do it yourself.

Almost surely someone tried to remove the bolt and snapped it. Is the vehicle new to you? It can be fixed by someone who can apply heat and/or weld a bolt/nut onto the broken off bolt/stud. But the exhaust manifold will need to come off.

This is not uncommon. The exhaust manifold bolts stretch over time and become weak.

No reason to sell it.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Almost surely someone tried to remove the bolt and snapped it. Is the vehicle new to you? It can be fixed by someone who can apply heat and/or weld a bolt/nut onto the broken off bolt/stud. But the exhaust manifold will need to come off.

This is not uncommon. The exhaust manifold bolts stretch over time and become weak.

No reason to sell it.

I doubt it. They like to break on their own.

O/P- it's not bad to do these, just time consuming. Easiest way is to remove the manifold and attempt to spin the broken bolt out. Don't heat it, they seem to come out harder when you do. In fact, I've had them break off flush with the head after heating. Instead, get some good locking pliers on there and try to back it out- cold.

The only thing you'll want heat for are the nuts at collector. Those will nearly always need heat. Replace all the bolts while you're there with new ones from the dealer (they have a thread locker to keep them from backing out) and a new MLS gasket, also from the dealer.

Nobody has touched this vehicle other than the dealer. The other bolts have no marks that would indicate they were messed with.

I'm just wondering after seeing this there may be a small bit of separation. The idle was a bit rough why I was changing the plugs. It's definitely better after the plugs only a very slight vibration now. Pretty good for so many miles. And there is also a slight what sounds like lifter noise in that area. I assumed that's what it was. But the offending cylinder is directly above this area. So now I'm not so sure.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: Donald

No reason to sell it.

I doubt it. They like to break on their own.

O/P- it's not bad to do these, just time consuming. Easiest way is to remove the manifold and attempt to spin the broken bolt out. Don't heat it, they seem to come out harder when you do. In fact, I've had them break off flush with the head after heating. Instead, get some good locking pliers on there and try to back it out- cold.

The only thing you'll want heat for are the nuts at collector. Those will nearly always need heat. Replace all the bolts while you're there with new ones from the dealer (they have a thread locker to keep them from backing out) and a new MLS gasket, also from the dealer.

What is the collector? Where the bolt fixes to the manifold? So I should not run the engine for a while and then try a hot?

Like someone else said, they break on their own. What you're hearing is probably a slight exhaust leak, it will most likely get worse in time.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Like someone else said, they break on their own. What you're hearing is probably a slight exhaust leak, it will most likely get worse in time.

What would be the best test? Soapy water when it's cold before the manifold gets too hot?

Soapy water works. I usually just start the car first thing in the morning and use my hand to feel for air before the engine gets too hot.

When you take the manifolds off, it helps to "slot" the front and back holes.

I just found this online. A clamp called the KAP169. Supposedly there are available threaded holes in the head of a GM 6.0 that the bracket attaches to. It's cheap think I should try this?
98174451_zpsvegwfpcj.jpg

Seriously? Consider ditching a car over a silly manifold stud? Makes no sense, it's a simple fix.

As for the "KAP169" sure,it's worth a try. Then if it doesn't fix the exhaust leak that sounds like a lifter, do the whole manifold and gasket and fix the stud he right way. Then if the stud snaps, put the KAP back on with a fresh gasket and see if it holds.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Seriously? Consider ditching a car over a silly manifold stud? Makes no sense, it's a simple fix.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

But.. I see this bolts and wonder if the repair will be so costly that I should just sell it right now. Is this the beginning of a serious problem and I should get out now? Or is it repairable without thousands of dollars?

Seems reasonable to me. For example, a transmission that slips or has shift flare is usually the harbinger of an expensive transmission replacement. Similarly other vehicles sometimes put out warning signs prior to becoming expensive heaps to keep going. Very model specific, of course.

In this case, I could see the OP being worried about pulling the manifold, only to find that this model commonly cracks the manifold too. And then to have Mr Murphy strike, and slowly have to replace every exhaust component downstream as they finish their decomposition. One simple bolt could become a > $1,000 repair.

In the general case that is. Not so sure on a 10 year old Cadillac though--I'd think the vehicle value well above this. The occasional grand of repair shouldn't bother anyone. And in this case, no one has indicated any sort of gotchas to make this one of those nightmare jobs.

[For reference, aren't some Ford 4.6/5.4 motors known for rotting exhaust manifolds? Go to replace one stud and the manifold is in need of replacing too. Very vehicle specific I know.]

440Magnum - if I lived in Texas I would agree with you and not give it a second thought. But here in Massachusetts it's the winter road salt and rust that limits the lifespan of a vehicle to approx. 15 years.

You are just looking for excuses for a $300 repair to replace your vehicle. good luck.

What is the collector? Where the bolt fixes to the manifold? So I should not run the engine for a while and then try a hot?

The collector is where the exhaust pipe connects to the exhaust manifold.

I just found this online. A clamp called the KAP169. Supposedly there are available threaded holes in the head of a GM 6.0 that the bracket attaches to. It's cheap think I should try this?
98174451_zpsvegwfpcj.jpg

This, they work great, are easy and cheap. It will solve any leaks you have too. I know a few people that have them on their tow vehicles.

Take it to a competent shop and have the guy pull the header off and replace the broken stud and any that look suspicious. Have a nice cup of coffee while he is doing the job. Then drive that thing until 230k and sell it.

Sometimes you just have to have it repaired by a shop.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
Take it to a competent shop and have the guy pull the header off and replace the broken stud and any that look suspicious. Have a nice cup of coffee while he is doing the job. Then drive that thing until 230k and sell it.

Sometimes you just have to have it repaired by a shop.

THIS! I have done them before and it's worth paying someone to do it. Shouldn't cost very much at all.
Edit: I must be getting old. I normally would never say take it to a shop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back