T handle shifter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a bit curious to see if anyone else shares my feelings on this.

I have always felt that any vehicle with a manual transmission that someone has slapped a T-handle shifter into is a vehicle to stay away from.In my personal experience every vehicle that I can remember from my youth that was equipped with a T-handle was owned by a wannabe racer on or off road.A person who usually abused the carp out of the vehicle .I have passed on some vehicles for sale that had a T-handle shifter.

Is this just my personal bias?Has any one else made this correlation?

Just curious.

I always used a Hurst "T" handle to power shift. Always touched the clutch when shifting, never a problem. If anything, using it helped get it into the next gear, instead of missing a shift or not getting it fully into gear.

Owned many muscle cars back in the day. I always liked the round type shifter handle. Had one that looked like a cue ball on my 65 El Camino.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I like "T" handles. They're more ergonomic for shifting.

Drove afew vehicles with T handle from the factory, and they do hit your hand just right. But if it is a modification and the vehicle also has mods, I agree with OP.

They are lame IMO. Not ergonomic at all for proper shifting. I was taught when shifting through the gates to turn my hand backwards to let my muscle memory naturally guide the shifter into the proper gear.

I find them a throwback to things that were not good in older cars like the annoying ribbed seat design that Ford seems to put in Mustangs.

Yeah, but back to the OP's point, a car with a T-handle is more likely to have been flogged than one without. Not sure what you're shopping for, I haven't seen a T-handle in more years than I care to remember. Could have a point though.

I've never had one, nor seen one on a MT. I don't understand how you can assume the car was driven a certain way based on the shifter someone decided to screw onto the handle. If it were part of a culmination of things I could maybe understand, but just screwing on a handle? No.

I don't think I've seen one in a while, and they're probably not on the vehicles I'd be shopping anyhow.

But I think I agree with the sentiment. If I come across a car with decals and seat covers and f@rt can muffler and alloys with low profile tires, I'm staying away. The owner may well have taken good car, and the vehicle likely can take the occasional flogging; but better examples can be had. Examples which wouldn't need to have all that stuff stripped off.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
They are lame IMO. Not ergonomic at all for proper shifting. I was taught when shifting through the gates to turn my hand backwards to let my muscle memory naturally guide the shifter into the proper gear.

thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

I have a tendency to buy older vehicles(usually trucks) from the 70's and 80's.I bounce around on craigslist a lot,and a good bit of the time I see the t handles on vehicles.I was in my teens back in the late 70's and early 80's.Back then the t handle shifter was sold as a"racing shifter" so every wannabe street racer would slap them on a vehicle. esp if there was a column to floor shift conversion done.So I have a jaundiced view of the aftermarket devices.If the vehicle had a factory t shifter thats one thing but Bubba and Leroy slapping in a Hurst shifter thinking it will magically turn them into street racers nah.The modern equivalent is as one earlier poster noted a car with a [censored] can ,decals and low profiles etc is probably a car to pass on buying.It has probably been rode hard.Most likely the same for a t-handle vehicle.IMO.

The Hurst T handle is great. I have lost count of how many I've had over the years, from my first car, to two I have now. A Camaro with a 4 speed Hurst super shifter/T handle, and a C5 Vette 6 speed, with a stock shifter. Once you learn the pressure points on the handle, and have the angle set right, it will pretty much go right where you want it. 1-2 shift, 2 fingers to the right side. 2-4 shift palm it forward/right. 3-4 shift, 2 fingers to the left side of the handle, so on, and so forth.

My trans am came with a Hurst t. I've been meaning to get the classic white ball with the pattern engraved.

The pewter tarnishes with sweat and looks nasty dull all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back