MagicJack, Vonage, Ooma, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys;

I did a search on this and really didn't find much that is current so I thought I would post a new question. My 2 year plan with Comcast expires this June and I am starting to look around to cut the bill some when I re-up with them for a new 2 year plan. I am thinking maybe I could save some $$$ by not having the phone service.

I have looked at various VOIP services and they all seem about the same with varying features, options, and fees. I am really looking for feedback from those who have used some of these companies so I have an idea of how good they are. I can then decide which one I want to use if I go that route.

Couple things...

1 - I am NOT interested in anything from Google!!! I know they offer a free service( Google Voice or something like that )but I have zero interest in anything Google offers. Please don't waste my time and yours recommending them. Just not happening. Just explaining and not trying to insult anyone who likes Google. To each his own.

2 - I want to be able to keep my existing home phone number and not all of these services allow for that. My parents got this number in 1970 when we moved to town and I have it now that they are gone. So 46+ years of the same home phone number means I don't want to change it. I am not losing it. So, the service has to allow transfer of existing phone number. I am interested in how easy and expensive it was for you to transfer your number to whatever service you use if you did that.

3 - I need 911. My cell just does not get reception inside the house. I have to go outside and almost into the neighbors yard to get signal. I have MS and MUST have a landline with 911 service. I know some of these VOIP services don't offer 911 or it costs. Looking for info on those that have it and what you pay. I can call the regular PD/FD number that I do know by heart but I worry that if I am having a problem I won't remember the # and 911 always comes to mind in an emergency.

Reliability is also important obviously. This is my main number and I use it for what work I can do( self employed ). I need it to work all the time and not sporadically. I like what I am seeing from MagicJack right now for plans and such but remember reading bad things about them 2 years ago when I last considered doing this. Feedback on them from more recent times would be especially helpful.

Thanks in advance.

I have Vonage and have had it for many years. The calls go through quickly and sound fine. Two features I really like are: 1) visual voicemail, voicemail is transcribed and sent as email. I never listen to my voicemail. 2) Vonage Extensions - I can answer my home phone via this Vonage smartphone app anywhere I get WIFI or cell. I can make calls from the app also and they appear to come from my home phone. (This is not call forwarding).

I am on call a lot for work and those two features are very helpful.

Ooma and vonage seem to work pretty well. They are not perfect like fair point or xfinity but are potentially good enough. Transitioning the number takes time so you have to run both services until switch completes.

I think both offer an app for your smartphone if they get knocked down. I killed my landline as Verizon wireless works great where I am at.

do you have smartphone? vonage has an app for wi-fi calling.
Vonage is also by far the most pricy.

I used an obihai 100(voip device) for 2 years for free phone with google voice.. there are paid providers available as well.
costs around 8$ a month with a year prepaid.
includes E911 service.

Some are lower ie 4.99 but that doesnt include tax or e911 which is 1-2$ a month more.

I actually have an extra new in box obi200 and a used obi100 for sale if anyone needs one.

obi200 33$ new in box shipped
obi100 25$ used-works fine.
http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/

Note both will work with e911 service.
They don't work for 911 if using google voice for totally free calling.

obitalk.jpg

I have Ooma. There are cheaper services out there, but it's pretty simple and I can't be bothered to chase down every nickel.

It can basically do everything you want. You can port your number over, it has 911 and pretty low monthly fees, you just pay the taxes which for me is around $2-$3 a month, I'm not even sure what it is. What I like about it is call blocking. Whenever telemarketers or political agencies call, I add it to the block list.

I believe the knock on magic jack at the time was that you need your computer on all the time which means you run up the electric bill. So what you save on magic jack, you end up spending on electricity.

I'm near the end of my 2nd. 5 year plan with Magic Jack. Works fine for me. I'll be re-upping it. I may buy the new one that plugs directly into the router. I can eliminate my desktop.

My brother has had Vonage for several years and swears by it...always clear sound quality when I talk to him.

I`ve done a ton of research on this and I just bought Ooma Telo . You buy it up front $99.99 at Best buy for me.Then it only costs for taxes , which for me is $4.25 , they vary by state . They are the number 1 seller of Voip phones over the last 4 years. I have not set it up yet because I`m switching over from AT&T to XFinity on the 22nd . Then after my new internet service is set up I will install my Ooma. Check their web site and also reviews online .Jim

You say you're looking to sign a 2 year contract, so how much cheaper will it be to eliminate your phone service? For me with Verizon it was $9 a month. Given your limitations that may be a small price to pay.

Thanks to all so far it is helpful.

I knew someone would mention Google even though I said I am not interested.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: bvance554
You say you're looking to sign a 2 year contract, so how much cheaper will it be to eliminate your phone service? For me with Verizon it was $9 a month. Given your limitations that may be a small price to pay.

I have TV/Internet/Phone service all bundled together through Comcast. Phone portion is like $39 normally( less with the bundle ). I have to see what I will save by eliminating that in the next bundle I sign up for vs equipment and monthly fees with a VOIP.

MagicJack for instance has a $59 offer right now that gives you phone service for a year and the equipment for that price. After the year it is $35 per year or $99 for 5 years for returning customers. That is pretty cheap. BUT, 911 costs( they don't tell you anywhere how much )and I checked my phone number online with them and they said it could not be transferred? I need to call them and find out why not? 911 is a big deal but not being able to have the phone number I have had since I was 3 is a deal breaker.

You can buy one of those OBI devices and pick from a ton of different providers of service.

I see now that they have office style IP telephones. That would be a good alternative to plugging in an el cheapo cordless telephone.

Paying comcast 39 dollars a month is insanity. You should be well under 10 dollars per month for a reliable provider with unlimited calling.

I bought an Obihai 200 voip adaptor on a newegg special a while back for $30, then ported my home phone number to Phone Power, which for $60/year, offers unlimited calls both received and dialed out. It includes e911 and all taxes/fees. One thing I really like is it includes caller name and number and many other possibilities that I have no need for such as a smartphone app, etc. Telemarketers can be blocked one number at a time through my phone power account. Calls are very clear and service never down unless my internet goes out. It was fairly simple to set up my obihai account and then provision the new service on my new Obi device. It took about one week to port my landline number over to the new service. I knew it had transferred when I could no longer make calls on my landline. I then had my new voip service up and running in about 30 minutes after setup. Phone power has actual real customer service call center just like normal phone company as well as email and chat support. The $60/yr unlimited plan is only available a a special deal between Obi and Phone Power when you buy the new Obi 200. Another nice thing about the Obi adaptor is that it gives you a choice of many providers out there should your needs change and you decide to jump ship. I even bought an extra obi to have on hand in case this one gets hit by a voltage spike, or I want to set up a family member or friend needing to save some $.

I had Ooma several years ago, and it was super easy to set up, and worked very well, but the up front cost was higher and ongoing cost higher as well if you want anything besides the most basic of service. I had the unfortunate experience to have my Ooma box hit by a lightning voltage spike to my dsl line. The only way to renew my service was to buy another overpriced Ooma adaptor, which I decided against. Everything with Ooma costs a lot extra. Just to have your name show correctly on others caller ID was a $20 extra one time fee, for example. And you have to pay an extra $10/month for Ooma Premier to get Name caller ID instead of number only caller ID.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: bvance554

I have TV/Internet/Phone service all bundled together through Comcast. Phone portion is like $39 normally( less with the bundle ). I have to see what I will save by eliminating that in the next bundle I sign up for vs equipment and monthly fees with a VOIP.

MagicJack for instance has a $59 offer right now that gives you phone service for a year and the equipment for that price. After the year it is $35 per year or $99 for 5 years for returning customers. That is pretty cheap. BUT, 911 costs( they don't tell you anywhere how much )and I checked my phone number online with them and they said it could not be transferred? I need to call them and find out why not? 911 is a big deal but not being able to have the phone number I have had since I was 3 is a deal breaker.

Nice post Hemi.

Myself?..... I have a Plan B.
My cellphone hardly ever gets used..... maybe 10 calls per month from relatives and three from a best friend. Been thinking of surrendering my landphone and switching my cellphone number to my landline phone number, if that's possible. I do realize the two transactions would need to be done very quickly / simoutaneously.

Then I would try something like Ooma for a year, bearing an entirely new phone number of little concern to me and the wife. We hardly get calls on our landphone and I hardly get calls on my cellphone. Paying for both makes little sense anymore and something like Ooma would be dirt-cheap.

Having my landphone number on my cellphone allows utility companies, insurance companies, doctors....etc.....etc..... the ability to still get in-touch with us, because our landphone number is what's registered at all these places.

Last edited:
I have Magic Jack, Ooma and ATT landline.

1. I dumped the ATT landline a few months ago and replaced it with Ooma. Hands down best calling quality I ever had, same as ATT landline or better. Ooma is free but you do have to give billing info and pay monthly tax, for me is $4.50 a month. Well worth it for QUALITY unlimited nationwide voice service and also super great overseas quality. (of course overseas is additional)

2. I still have magic jack but not using it, I paid something like $99.00 in advance for 5 years of service, not worth it to me. Never had great call quality and I had it for years, along with my ATT landline service at the same time. (2 numbers)
BTW you do not need to plug magic jack into a computer.

3. Hands down, Ooma is great service and all you pay is tax. Of course they will try to sell you on advanced services but easily cancelled.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

I knew someone would mention Google even though I said I am not interested.
crackmeup2.gif

The threads posted are not about you. It's a great question and folks chiming in about all services makes it useful for everyone recent info on voip. The best method is getting all types to make a better informed decision and not be closed minded. Excellent info here and no fights on what is better!

Had magic jack. No like. Have basic talk now. $10 a month. Owned by Vonage. Good call quality. Was $13 a month then after one year of being telemarketed I told them to disconnect it. They countered with discount and assurances of no telemarketing. Been 2 months now and the phone barely rings. I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back