Dodge 5500 pickup manual trans won't go in gear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Son's 2008 6 speed with about 105,000 miles.

Won't go in reverse hardly at all and very hard to get in forward gears. He just replaced the hydrolic clutch part but not much help.

Any ideas?

Thanks a ton!

If you start it with the shifter in gear, does the clutch actuate at the bottom/very close to the floor? Might need to re-bleed the clutch hydraulic system to get all the air out.

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem with my 2001 5-speed. It could either be the hydraulic system or a worn clutch. Mine won't go into reverse from neutral when the trans is cold. I have to shut the engine down, shift into reverse, then restart the engine.

I guessed hydraulic system because normally, with a worn out clutch, the free play decreases & the actuation point gets farther from the floor, inability to push the slave cylinder in all the way stops the clutch from disengaging completely.

There's a clutch master and a clutch slave. Either could be bad. THe cuitch slave rod has to be adjusted properly as well. Usually if the clitch lining is bad the clutch won't grab well, or at all. The test for worn lining used to be in the good old days to put the front bumper against a tree and and see if you could stall the engine in third or fourth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back