Ford Focus Duratec 2.0 leaking PCV hose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I've done the job on a friend's daughter's car on the cheap. Picked up the Dorman part from Napa for less than $20.

I think I even used that post as a rough guide, and just used common sense as to what to actually take apart. No need to remove the radiator like the FSM says, or lowering the condenser like the post says. I must have had the right combination of sockets and extensions as I reached all manifold bolts from in the engine bay.

In the road, it took about 90 minutes for the whole job. If it's your own car, you might want to budget some extra time for cleaning the intake runners as the ones I worked on were really gunked up. It seems like they all get dirty at higher mileage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Picked up the Dorman part from Napa for less than $20.

Then it's a good thing you can do it in 90 minutes, because you will most likley be doing it again soon.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

Then it's a good thing you can do it in 90 minutes, because you will most likley be doing it again soon.

Bingo, you should have only put the OEM one on.

Did the later model Focus w/ Duratec (2008-present) change or is it still a PITA to change the PCV?

Thanks for the replies and please keep them coming-

90 minutes is impressive and encouraging. I am really dreading this job. It looks like an all day job to me and there pitfalls due to the tight spaces and many brittle plastic conectors.

I would go back with an OEM or Gates Emission hose for the PCV, replace the PCV valve, replace the thermostat (Motorad), and at least the upper and lower radator hoses (Gates) as the are original.

Pulling the intake is not a necessity. One of the guys I worked with used a pair of long reach pliers to change the valves out. He may have removed the throttle body but not the intake. I only tried that method once myself. I could have the intake off fast enough it wasn't worth the hassle of working in the confined space.

Wow. I would like to get more details on doing the Focus 2.0 PCV hose replacement without removing the intake manifold. (my car is a 2005 ZX4 w/Duratec 2.0)- Thanks

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Pulling the intake is not a necessity. One of the guys I worked with used a pair of long reach pliers to change the valves out. He may have removed the throttle body but not the intake. I only tried that method once myself. I could have the intake off fast enough it wasn't worth the hassle of working in the confined space.

Originally Posted By: rkpatt
Wow. I would like to get more details on doing the Focus 2.0 PCV hose replacement without removing the intake manifold. (my car is a 2005 ZX4 w/Duratec 2.0)- Thanks

Originally Posted By: cb_13

+1
Can you please let me know how this works out? I have the same car and am looking to do the valve cover gasket set as well as the plugs and this hose as preventative maint, as I don't think mine is broken...yet.

I'll go out to my garage now and see if I can see any breaks etc in the current one.

With the complexity of this system and it's fragile plastic parts, you'd think this system was designed by Volvo
lol.gif

Also, anyone have the Ford part number to order this part? I'm presuming i should also replace the intake manifold gasket as well...ugh, a new(er) car is looking VERY appealing at this point, but the debt isn't hahah!

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Also, anyone have the Ford part number to order this part? I'm presuming i should also replace the intake manifold gasket as well...ugh, a new(er) car is looking VERY appealing at this point, but the debt isn't hahah!

For the 2.3L p/n is 3S4Z-6758-AA MSRP is US$55.62
For the 2.0L p/n is 4S4Z-6758-BA MSRP is US$49.95

I have the 2.3L one in stock and it has the little pins on the clamps so you just line the hose up and pull the pin and the clamp snaps into place.

The pictures are for the "big block" 2.3L.

Since yours is the 2.0L small block, BTW that is joking as it seems a lot of the older shops call it that, is the 4S4Z-6758-BA number. There is no short Motorcraft number as it is a Ford part only.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

I have the 2.3L one in stock and it has the little pins on the clamps so you just line the hose up and pull the pin and the clamp snaps into place.

does the 2.0 version also have these little "pins"?
If so, does it allow replacement without removing the intake manifold?

thanks in advance

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

Bingo, you should have only put the OEM one on.

I'm not worried, as the Dorman hose I installed 2 years ago was identical to the one in the picture you posted right down to the red clips holding the constant tension clamps. It too was manufactured in Spain, so it's likely the exact same part at half the cost just with the Dorman logo and in a box instead of a bag.

Honestly, how could it be profitable if more than 1 or 2 companies made the part for all suppliers?

OP - I'd also suggest replacing the valve cover gasket at the same time. The friend's daughter stopped by a month ago complaining of drivability issues again, and I thought that maybe the Dorman hose did give out.

The hose was in great shape, but the plugs and coils on cylinders 2-4 were swimming in oil. I'm surprised that it even ran. The design of the top of the head is such that it has a 2" deep reservoir that collected about a quart of oil that I needed to vacuum out before pulling the coils and plugs.

I have to chime in here, as I had to do this to my 2006 about 6 months ago. I bought the Dorman part to complete the job, but actually ended up using a Toyota hose to fix this--with the clips from the dorman hose. (I think someone mentioned the Toyota hose in the FocusFanatics thread)

I did in fact remove the intake and replaced the gaskets. It took me a couple of days to complete this job, as I was trying to be careful not to break any plastic parts, even though I accidentally broke the fuel pressure regulator trying to get the intake manifold back in after cleaning it.

I did not change the PCV valve or thermostat or hoses, which I should have but I got pretty frustrated with the whole thing, and just wanted it to get back together. If have bigger hands, so I had trouble reaching into the tight spots, even with the throttle body removed. You will need some long 1/4" extensions, and I also used a long "grabber" tool to make sure I didn't drop the intake manifold bolts.

I am shopping for parts and some additional tools (a few types of long reach needle nose pliers, an assortment of ¼ inch drive extensions, grabber tool .etc). I plan to do the work in a couple of weeks when I can get some help from my friend who is a diesel generator mechanic and have an extra day for contingencies.

Plan A – Hopefully figure out how to replace the PCV hose (and possibly the PCV valve) without removing the intake manifold.

Plan B -Follow the suggestion of a poster in the other forum and just unbolt the intake manifold (vs completely removing it from the engine bay) and pull it away from the head to allow enough space to access the PCV hose and PCV valve. Maybe I can avoid disconnecting so many things doing it that way (less potential collateral damage).

Plan C- Remove the intake manifold completely (foreseeable that something will likely break). I will replace the thermostat and radiator hoses if I wind up going that far.

Thanks for all of the replies so far and any more tips on for the Ford Focus Duratec PCV hose replacement are appreciated.

Plan A - yes you could replace the hose without removing the intake. Instead you would have to remove the radiator and A/C condenser. Pick your poison.

Plan B - this is what I wanted to do when I fixed the friend's car and got part way into the job and found out that unless you have the hands and forearms of a 4 year old there's no way of getting in there and reaching the hose.

Plan C - my money's on you ending up here eventually so just make this step 1. Really, there's only a couple of sensor connectors to take apart and the throttle body to remove. It's not that hard and you're overthinking this, especially if you'll have a helper with any automotive/diesel experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back