Fiat Chrysler's quality conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Quaity

Oh the irony.
smile.gif

From the article:

"U.S. car buyers are supposedly smarter than ever. The experts tell us shoppers arm themselves with so much knowledge from the Internet, they visit only a dealership or two before making a deal."

The irony of this is that consumers are bombarded with too much information and often can't weed through it all to isolate what's important. They also obtain a false sense of understanding and think they know everything, which leads to a contentious experience at the dealer. Then again, I have experienced a lot of dealer employees who simply don't know the product well and can't be relied on as experts. (recent example: when I was shopping for my M3, one dealer's salesperson did not know how to put the M-DCT gearbox into park)

Just my two cents.

I think what has happened is the last three organizations that have owned Chrysler are not interested in making a better Chrysler.

Daimler-Benz wasn't interested in making a better Chrysler, not sure what their purpose was ... but it was definitely not a long term vision for what to do with Chrysler.

Any time someone like Cerberus steps in, their purpose is to just bleed what they can out of the company and sell when it is run it's course and can no longer be a short term cash cow.

Fiat bought Chrysler to sell Fiats here.

It's always the same story.
When a lot of people buy Toyotas or Hondas, it's a clear sign that they are superior to anybody else. People buying them are smart and educated.
When people buy a lot of Domestic brands, it's a clear sign that these cars are junk and the people buying them are too stupid to understand it.

If people are flocking to dealerships for Chrysler products, it could be because Chrysler offers something they can't find at the same price elsewhere: a big RWD sedan (the 300), a smaller and vigorous sedan (the 200), sportier sedans (Dodge Dart and Dodge Charger), or a 2-door retro-styled coupe (Challenger).

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
If people are flocking to dealerships for Chrysler products, it could be because Chrysler offers something they can't find at the same price elsewhere: a big RWD sedan (the 300), a smaller and vigorous sedan (the 200), sportier sedans (Dodge Dart and Dodge Charger), or a 2-door retro-styled coupe (Challenger).

The only thing keeping Chrysler afloat is Ram and Jeep. They are killing off the 200, and Dart. The 300 is long in the tooth although it "looks like a Bentley". The Charger is doing well but eclipsed by the Mustang and Camaro.

Ans nearly every quality survey ranks FCA at or near the bottom. As they have been nearly forever.

I'm still puzzled why we care about Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep. Subpar vehicles nearly forever and more owners than Carter has Liver Pills. Why not make them go the way of the rest of the failed brands? Seems fitting.

Chrysler strikes me as sub-par yet the roads are not littered with carcasses.

Methinks their low quality has become good enough. Kinda like when the teacher hands out a test and the lowest score is an 88--well above passing, but someone has to be in last place.

Aren't these vehicles still a bit cheaper than the fabled no-problem imports? I wonder if these "not so smart" buyers are willing to trade the possibility of a repair for a few bucks saved. Perhaps they are just fine with that tradeoff.

Originally Posted By: supton

Methinks their low quality has become good enough. Kinda like when the teacher hands out a test and the lowest score is an 88--well above passing, but someone has to be in last place.

Aren't these vehicles still a bit cheaper than the fabled no-problem imports? I wonder if these "not so smart" buyers are willing to trade the possibility of a repair for a few bucks saved. Perhaps they are just fine with that tradeoff.

Valid points. Chrysler is not trying to be the next Lexus (or whoever is topping the reliability charts) -- their product is built to a price, and with that comes lower reliability. Many buyers know that and accept that risk.

Lol, well said. I'm thinking any modern domestic car is way more reliable and of higher perceived quality that what rolled out of ANY automaker's factory 20 years ago. But someone still needs to be ranked last!

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

Lol, well said. I'm thinking any modern domestic car is way more reliable and of higher perceived quality that what rolled out of ANY automaker's factory 20 years ago. But someone still needs to be ranked last!

Yep, someone has to be in last, but being in last place time and time again? I'm not sure any company has that as a strategic goal.

Buyers don't share a common set of values. So some may value the looks of the Chrysler over the perceived quality of a Toyota.

Doesn't mean either buyer is less than his peer buying something else. Just means his scorecard has different weights for differing attributes.

Originally Posted By: dparm
supton said:
Valid points. Chrysler is not trying to be the next Lexus (or whoever is topping the reliability charts)

And yet, the Challenger/Charger/300 is better than any Lexus ever made. Ram is at the top of the truck heap, and Jeep (other than a few warts like the Patriot and Renegade) is still the best SUV line out there.

People have been insulting Chrysler for 50 years. Who cares as long as my products give me good service, as they ALL have done?

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

And yet, the Challenger/Charger/300 is better than any Lexus ever made. Ram is at the top of the truck heap, and Jeep (other than a few warts like the Patriot and Renegade) is still the best SUV line out there.

People have been insulting Chrysler for 50 years. Who cares as long as my products give me good service, as they ALL have done?

Your possibly biased opinion is duly noted. How do you feel about Chrysler being a foreign brand...like Lexus?

I've never had an issue with a Chrysler/Jeep product either. They make some of the best, longest lasting cars out there. My son's 2001 Dakota truck just turned 186,000 sometimes neglected miles with all of its original major components. Still running well. Sort of like the energizer bunny.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

The only thing keeping Chrysler afloat is Ram and Jeep. They are killing off the 200, and Dart. The 300 is long in the tooth although it "looks like a Bentley". The Charger is doing well but eclipsed by the Mustang and Camaro.

Ans nearly every quality survey ranks FCA at or near the bottom. As they have been nearly forever.

I'm still puzzled why we care about Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep. Subpar vehicles nearly forever and more owners than Carter has Liver Pills. Why not make them go the way of the rest of the failed brands? Seems fitting.
Does the Charger have IRS?

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I've never had an issue with a Chrysler/Jeep product either. They make some of the best, longest lasting cars out there. My son's 2001 Dakota truck just turned 186,000 sometimes neglected miles with all of its original major components. Still running well. Sort of like the energizer bunny.

People like their Jeeps in spite of the issues not because there are few issues. My 2001 Jeep has needed a new engine (piston skirts), two sets of pressure sender/governor in transmission, upgrade of substandard Teves calipers. The same year can also develop a crack in the head.

The 4WD system however is one of the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back