Rear engine seal leaking - 01 Sable 3.0 Duratec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 01 Sable with the 3.0 Duratec that has a rear engine seal leaking. Engine has 125,000 miles on it and one shop quoted about $800 to fix it. The car is aging and I don't want to put that much into just a seal. It is likely a bigger job than I want to tackle.

Any thought on an inexpensive way to fix this problem. It is not huge but will leak a couple of drop every time I park it making spots on my driveway as well.

I was hoping to try some high mileage oil in a heavier weight and see if this helps. Might also add a stop leak product. Just looking to keep it going longer without spending too much money on it. Save the $800 for my next vehicle which may be in the next year or so.

If it was mine, I would try high mileage oil (maxlife maybe) and if that doesn't fix it, then I would just live with it. You could probably run a 5w30, maybe 10w30 in the summer???

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
http://amzn.com/B000NVW1LM

+1 to trying the ATP 205. Pair it with the Maxlife 5w30 and there's a chance the leak will stop completely. I wouldn't put that much money into it for a few drops even if it didn't stop. Maxlife 10w40 in the summer is another option to slow it down if it gets worse

Any reason for Maxlife over say Mobil 1 High Mileage. I have used that successfully in the past for real high mileage vehicles. Did not know if Maxlife stops leaks better or not.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Any reason for Maxlife over say Mobil 1 High Mileage. I have used that successfully in the past for real high mileage vehicles. Did not know if Maxlife stops leaks better or not.

Maxlife is typically better at slowing leaks/consumption from personal experience and what I hear from others, my take is less synthetic base oil helps this. The Mobil 1 High Mileage is better for extended drains in my opinion.

MaxLife in it and live with it. A drop every once in a while will never drop the oil level.

I had a 97 Camry with an oil leak that on the first startup everyday had a steady drip, you could watch it drip drip drip drip, hardly even topped off oil. Maybe 1/2 a quart in 4-5k miles

Maxlife + 1/3 bottle ATP almost stopped the RMS drip on my Xterra. Decided to try Pennzoil HM + ATP and the leak came back. Not sure if the leak got worse or it was the Pennzoil. Next fill will be Maxlife again. 1/3 bottle of ATP because the 3.3L only has a 3.5qt sump.

try 5w30 pennzoil high mileage with a new filter PHM has worked pretty good every time for me..

Smittys High Mileage 5w30 has helped a friends old 4.0 ford van with 260,000 miles. He uses Smittys in everything he services at his shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back