5W40 vs. 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil One (the only synthetic to use IMHO) does not sell a 5W40. I know the 0W40 is approved for my '15 VW Golf TSI (gas) but the Owners Manual recommends 5W40.

I could ask "why doesn't Mobil market 5W40 Mobil 1," but the real question is what are the advantages of either grade? I live in Northern Wisconsin, where lows can get down to -25 degrees, while high temps reach the mid-high 90's in the summer.

27.gif
28.gif

I will disagree with your opinion and have personally witnessed "cleaning" with using PP/ PU oils.

M1 0w40 is very good as is m1 TDT 5w40. Nuff' said

Does it really get to -25F? Really? Even now, in mid March?

I didn't think so.

Now, you can use your M1...I think they'll be gratified to see your brand loyalty, at least the marketing guys..and when it gets colder, switch to a 0w oil.

You couldn't figure that one out for yourself?

I asked the opposite question here, why do some companies bother to make both a 5W-40 and a 0W-40

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...c_?#Post3901811

Some do, some don't. It can reflect different base stock (Grp 3 Vs Grp 4) and that different European manufacturers have different OEM specs. Some OEMs like 0W-40 and others 5W-40.

Both are good oils. Fairly interchangeable for many applications. Just make sure it has the OEM spec you require.

The 5w40 is usually higher formulated in the grade from what I've seen, with a higher HTHSV and KV100 as well. Mobil 1 0W40 European Formula is formulated low in the KV100 range.

M1 0w40 Euro = 3.6 HTHSV and 12.9 KV100
M1 TDT 5w40 = 3.8 HTHSv and 14.5 KV100

TDT also has more zddp and may be rougher on catalytic convertors

As has been noted here many times, for all practical purposes ignore grade when complying with the VW spec, it becomes irrelevant.

Originally Posted By: Revrick
Mobil One (the only synthetic to use IMHO) does not sell a 5W40. I know the 0W40 is approved for my '15 VW Golf TSI (gas) but the Owners Manual recommends 5W40.

I could ask "why doesn't Mobil market 5W40 Mobil 1," but the real question is what are the advantages of either grade? I live in Northern Wisconsin, where lows can get down to -25 degrees, while high temps reach the mid-high 90's in the summer.

There is an M1 5W-40, as you probably already know.
It's thicker than what most SI applications require and probably not as good an oil as D1 5W-40.

Just match the top number, i.e. 40. The bottom number should be 5 or lower in your case. See, oil companies are businesses, and they put more money in research and testing of most commonly used oils like 5w40, 5w20 and 0w40, because that's where they make money. 5w40 oil doesn't hold specs as stringent as 0w40 oil.

I have an 02 audi s4, and mine specs 5w40. I live in ny and everyone suggested 0w40 year round m1. I have done so for a year now and the car runs great with no issues doing that. Granted it has 78k but still. M1 0w40 is approved by vw and is an amazing oil. You'll never have anot issue. The 0w just means ito thinner at colder Temps but once up to operating Temps they are the same. Another good one.is castrol 0w40. Just as good and there are a few people that believe castrol has better cold starting

Mobil is bringing their Euro 5w40 to North America.

Dunno why people are directly comparing a PCMO 0w40 (Mobil / Castrol 0w40) to an HDEO 5w40 (TDT / D1 ESP) in this thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back