1999 camry transmission flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys just picked up a 99 camry. im doing a transmission flush and had a question. a buddy told me not to flush thru the 2 cooler lines coming out the tranny because its connected to the differential. and to just do a few drain and fills. i thought that was on previous camry models and not this one. any info on the flush procedure on this car? thanks.

That one should have a drain plug on the trans and a drain and fill plug on the differential. Just do both with whatever ATF you have on hand, when I did my former roommate's I used M1 ATF.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
That one should have a drain plug on the trans and a drain and fill plug on the differential. Just do both with whatever ATF you have on hand, when I did my former roommate's I used M1 ATF.
+1

Differential is separate from the transmission on these. I changed my differential fluid a few months ago and did a drain and refill on mine.

17mm wrench for the filler hole on the differential, it's on the backside.
Roughly a 10mm Allen head for the drain plugs on transmission and differential. About 2 quarts drains out of each with a drain and refill.

I used a fluid pump from harbor freight to fill my differential, stuck the hose in by going up and over the subframe while under the car. Fill until it starts to pour out and put the bolt back in.

They take Dexron III fluid, I always use MaxLife ATF fluid in my current 2000 Camry and my previous 1997 Camry.

i was going to only flush the tranny. the fluid is dirty but previous owner has been taking it to get flushed every 30k, so its time again. how do i do the full flush on this model

Originally Posted By: macdole99
i was going to only flush the tranny. the fluid is dirty but previous owner has been taking it to get flushed every 30k, so its time again. how do i do the full flush on this model
Flushing a transmission isn't recommended. Just do a drain and refill, you can do it once a week for a month and most of the fluid will have been changed by then. Much safer for the transmission.

You have a dipstick...drain fill twice with a few miles in between then once a year. You can even use a fluid extractor and suck the ATF out the dipstick tube. I only do the cooler line flush on the sealed transmissions with no dipstick.

You can follow the cooler lines right from the radiator into the transmission. They do NOT go to the diff. Where people get these ideas when the evidence is right in front of them is beyond me. BTW, the V6 dif has it's own drain but can be FILLED through the transmission dipstick. The I4 can only be filled through the fill port on the dif. This according to Haynes.

Last edited:
i thought that but got a bit panicky when he said that and wanted to double check thanks a bunch!!

I would just use the drain plug and drain and fill. At least that's what I did one 2000 4 cylinder model I maintain. I have no idea if the V6 transmission has a drain plug.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I would just use the drain plug and drain and fill. At least that's what I did one 2000 4 cylinder model I maintain. I have no idea if the V6 transmission has a drain plug.
The V6s also have a drain plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back