Replacement due but still clean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Stewie
Am I the only around here suspicious of filter minder? Mine hasn't moved since I installed it
27.gif

I have a vacuum tester, and I test my filter minder occasionally. So far, I haven't gotten one to fault.

Some cars just don't load very much. My Navigator shows nothing after more than 30k miles of driving in some real nasty conditions. The position of the air filter or induction seems to shy away from vacuuming up dirt. Filter still looks perfectly clean.

Airbox design vs. engine demand plays a major role in this as well. My Cummins 6.7 pulled its minder down to about the 1/2 mark since new, and is now at 3/4, getting close to full and still looks unblemished.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: Stewie
Am I the only around here suspicious of filter minder? Mine hasn't moved since I installed it
27.gif

I have a vacuum tester, and I test my filter minder occasionally. So far, I haven't gotten one to fault.

Some cars just don't load very much. My Navigator shows nothing after more than 30k miles of driving in some real nasty conditions. The position of the air filter or induction seems to shy away from vacuuming up dirt. Filter still looks perfectly clean.

Airbox design vs. engine demand plays a major role in this as well. My Cummins 6.7 pulled its minder down to about the 1/2 mark since new, and is now at 3/4, getting close to full and still looks unblemished.

cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rrounds
That is why you use a filter minder to show you when its time to change the filter. If you run in the south west and drive through a few dust storms you just might have to change it out early and that is where the filter minder lets you know its time to change the filter. I haven't changed out an air filter by miles in over 40 years, I just look at the restriction gauge.

ROD

How long did it take to get to 8" H2O?

First, My car(S2000) is 100% stock(well I do run a big oil filter)
wink.gif
I did this test to see if there was a difference in vacuum "before" the air filter with the air box lid off or on. I put this on my car back in '11

and had 8" of vacuum after a WOT run to the top of third gear(8k miles on the filter).
So I reset the vacuum gauge and did the same third gear run and still had 8" of vacuum, then all I did was take the air box lid off and did the third gear run and it showed no vacuum. Put the lid on and had 8" of vacuum again, reset it on the side of the freeway and took the lid off-no vacuum. So I did this four times and every time with the lid on I had 8" of vacuum and with the lid off it showed no vacuum.
I just don't think the inlet on the stock air box is big enough for this stock engine at WOT. 8" is not a lot but if you add to that a filter that is not flowing very good and you could rob yourself of some top end HP.
One more thing, even though the lid to the air filter was off, ALL the air still has to go though the stock Honda cone air filter.
Now after over 90k miles I'm going to change it out do to time(5 years) not miles. I fixed the 8" of vacuum by adding a 2 3/4" hose that I attached to the side of the stock air box.

I still get 8" but it took me 5 years to get it back. LOL

ROD

rrounds said:
I did this test to see if there was a difference in vacuum "before" the air filter with the air box lid off or on. [/quote

Excellent!

This goes to show measurement always trumps (I use that word now with trepidation) guessing.
Also proof that a K&N filter in this stock air box would be a waste.

K&N in almost any stock airbox is a waste, because the inlet tubing is a larger restriction than the filter itself.

I've run dual filter minders with one behind the air filter, and one right before the throttle, and seen the one by the throttle go all the way down to nearly "full" while the one behind the filter was still showing nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back