What is everone running in a 4.3 liter V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
I just purchased a 2016 Chevy Silverado V6 LT All Star edition. Since leaving Valvoline Instant Oil Change as an employee, I've been running Mobil One AFE but the manual suggests this for cold weather. I could run it but I feel it's overkill IMHO. I'm going to run the oil for 5k miles or 15% oil life left whichever comes first with a Fram Ultra oil filter. I have heard of the V8 burning oil because they switched to 0W20and I'm curious to hear if the V6 is burning oil. I'm not the type of driver to put it over 3k rpms and I have a light foot most of the time. My driving is mostly short trips and is a mix of 65% city and 35% highway. Looking to run Mobil one extended performance in 5w30. Thanks for reading and suggestions in advance, Steve

Is your 2016 Silverado brand new?

You said, "Since leaving Valvoline Instant Oil Change as an employee, I've been running Mobil One AFE but the manual suggests this for cold weather."

Were you running Mobil One AFE in the Silverado or was that a new lifestyle statement?

What's called for? It likely isn't that important.

Not the type of driver to put it over 3k rpm's and you have a light foot most of the time? If the engine is direct injected, expect to have an intake valve deposit issue down the road. I suggest an oil known to perform well in the TEOST test. Mobil1 Extended performance scored poorly on this test while Castrols extended oil beat out even Amsoil who conducted the test.

PYB has a very low NOACK for a DI engine. You worked at VIOMG, you know all those high mileage cars that came in and the owner ran the cheapest oil you had, and they kept on rolling?
Obviously, being new, you should run what will keep the warranty intact. So, what dexos 1? Pennz Platinum was the darling of the dexos family for a while here, NOACK at 6.4... I would consider NOACK ratings in my choice.
Your light foot style will not help you get a long running engine... every once in a while during break in, run it like you stole it.

Last edited:
When did these become DI? The older 4.3's seem very easy on oil even with their small sumps.

As said above, Castrol would be a good match, but the Pennzoil Dexos blend might be worth considering too.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
When did these become DI? The older 4.3's seem very easy on oil even with their small sumps.

As said above, Castrol would be a good match, but the Pennzoil Dexos blend might be worth considering too.
In 2014 with the new body style. They redesigned the 4.3 and 5.3.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
The 4.3 V6 is easily a 300K mile engine even running Super Tech oil. No worries!

Your thinking of the old 4.3L V6. The 2016 been redesigned.

I left VIOC awhile back and I ran Mobil one AFE because it is good oil and I had it multiple motors with no isses. 09 Malibu 4 cyl, 09 Cary 4 cyl, 12 highlander v6, 13 equinox 4 cyl and 14 Accord 4 cyl. I bought the Sliverado with 39 miles on it and the v6 is pretty peppy. IMHO anything over 3k rpms and you're just spinning tires and burning gas. I do run fuel treatments once in a while to keep the carbon at bay. I do like Pennzoil and my father in law loves that stuff. Maybe I'll use it.

Originally Posted By: Droopy
I left VIOC awhile back and I ran Mobil one AFE because it is good oil and I had it multiple motors with no isses. 09 Malibu 4 cyl, 09 Cary 4 cyl, 12 highlander v6, 13 equinox 4 cyl and 14 Accord 4 cyl. I bought the Sliverado with 39 miles on it and the v6 is pretty peppy. IMHO anything over 3k rpms and you're just spinning tires and burning gas. I do run fuel treatments once in a while to keep the carbon at bay. I do like Pennzoil and my father in law loves that stuff. Maybe I'll use it.

Pennzoil and Mobil make some excellent products, you can't go wrong with either one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back