Factory/stock/modified

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying for proper terminology. Here is how it is to me.

Factory- how it left the plant
Then I have no word for this, maybe factory stock......different fluids and filters, parts, tires and stuff- but all dealer parts

Stock- just regular replacements.......parts store parts, maybe an exhaust or even a tune

Light mods- cat back, headers, cold air induction, short throw shifter, different gearset, heavier clutch, tires/rims

Heavily modified- port and polished heads, new manifold, camshaft, fuel injectors, weight transfer (or stiffer) suspension,

What is the NHRA up to? Pro Stock? Super Street? What does all of this mean....is it related to the topic?

Terminology varies wildly, even in a nationally administered learning environment. I find the easiest/best way of describing stuff is to have a few different terms for the same thing.
Eg, what you call 'light mods' other people may call 'stage one' or 'bolt ons' - but there may be other people whose interpretation and use of those terms is completely different to how you may understand the terms.

There could even be other classifications that you havent included like factory modified, where you upgrade your base model with parts from the hot model, some wouldn't even call it modified because it uses factory parts.

I s'pose what I'm trying to get at is that if you're not sure, ask!

I think the definitions will vary depending on the situation. For example, somebody doing restorations will have a very specific way of defining "original" or "stock."

For everyday purposes, just describing a car, your first two seem accurate. I would consider "stock" to be a vehicle that has not been modified for performance or looks, but it might have aftermarket parts installed for repair or maintenance. I guess a tune could still qualify as stock in a way, since it's like rejetting a stock carb or tuning the distributor in an older car.

The NHRA terms are another animal. They refer to classes with specific rules and requirements. I don't know if the guidelines are posted on their website, but that could answer your NHRA question.

A "Pro Stock" car resembles a car you could buy at the dealership just a little more than a NASCAR "stock car" does.

The Super Stock class is closer to what you seem to be asking about. It requires factory production cars that are/were publicly available at dealerships, with strict rules about modifications. That's a fun class to watch, because the cars actually look like something you could imagine yourself driving around the street. They seem painfully slow after a round of top fuelers, though.

I think the terms are too general. I would consider my 14 lightly modded, Borla ATAK catback, front and read driveshaft loops that act as chassis bracing, FRPP brake cooling kit, and braided stainless brake lines.

That car came from the factory with mods already done to it because of the Track Pack, Boss302 radiator, 3.73 gearset with a Torsen diff, diff cooler cover, 14" front rotors with 4-pot Brembo calipers, and an engine oil cooler.

Rhymingmechanic,

Great explanation!

I remember standing just outside the wall of a 1/4 mile strip and you could barely hear the 'regular' street cars making passes......and they seemed just a few feet away.

When you swap OEM parts from a premium model into a base model, it is often called a "Tribute car." The same can be said if your car had a basic paint job, but was repainted with colors and logos from the premium car. You have all the stuff from the premium model, but the VIN# and window sticker don't match.

This mostly applies to cars from the classic muscle car era.

The first "tribute car" example I can think of is a MOPAR with a B/RB engine from the factory, but a 426 Hemi gets swapped in if the 426 Hemi was an option for that year and model of car. The same car also gets 426 Hemi logos painted on if that year of car had such a paint scheme.

So item 1 and 2 can simply be called tribute cars.

Also I think adding a supercharger or turbo to a NA engine counts meets 4th explple you mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back