Engine oils in Canada (where??)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody,

Where do you people find afforable engine oil in Canada? Prices at Wal-Mart and CT are ridiculously high compared to prices in the US.

Thanks for any hints.

When Canadian Tire has Penn Platinum synthetic on sale, usually 2x per year, I stock up with 5W20 for the Flex and 5W30 for my Maxima.

The CTC sale price is actually better than the regular price of the same oil in USA, adjusted for exchange rates.

I'm stuck using 0W20 on my '13 Forester. Options (and sales) are not as common
frown.gif

Although you aren't going to get the oil sales like our US members get for $1 a quart on clearance, if you look at CT or WM you can get some good sales a few times a year.

I picked up some Pennzoil Platinum at CT in the 4.73L jugs for $25.99 CDN. WM had PYB for $13.99 (4.73L) or Vavlvoline white bottle for the same price a while ago.

Given the exchange rate for our dollar, I think the prices aren't that bad.

What oil are you looking for?

Last edited:
Canadian Tire has oil on sale every week. About six weeks ago it was Mobil 1 at 40 percent off, including the AFE and EP lines. One local store also had 4.73 litre jugs Pennzoil Platinum for $25. Every September Walmart has Valvoline White Bottle on for $11.88 and they have various brands of conventional oil on sale almost every week.

Thanks for the tips. CT doesn't have Pennzoil Platinum in 0W20, only 5W20 and 5W30. There is no 0W20 in PYB.

Only brands at CT in that 0w20 are Royal Purple, Mobil 1, Castrol Edge (gold and black) and that Motomaster housebrand.

I haven't found any worthwhile sales in the last 6 months at CT though.

It's not as bad as it used to be. With the dollar at 0.75 US it's about the same as the US and you have to pay HST either way. TGMO is cheaper in Canada than the US.

Oil filters can be more expensive though. Fram Ultra filters are about $9 US at Walmart in the US.

If you have a NAPA store nearby, it is worth checking out. They have sales from time to time. Their filters are reasonably priced. You might be able to get a larger discount if you plan to stock up on a year's supply of oil.

It's not as bad as it used to be. With the dollar at 0.75 US it's about the same as the US and you have to pay HST either way. TGMO is cheaper in Canada than the US.

Oil filters can be more expensive though. Fram Ultra filters are about $9 US at Walmart in the US.

I believe I paid $33 for 4.4 litre jugs Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 the last time it was on sale at CT. It's due to go on sale again within the next month or so. I also grabbed Toyota Genuine Motor Oil 0W20 for $6.50 a litre at the Toyota dealership. I believe some dealerships sell it for around $5.75 a litre. If you keep your eyes open there's good deals to be had, particularly given our $0.75 dollar.

Why don't you use TGMO 0w20? It was $5.x per liter last year (don't know current price, but I guess no more than $6.x).

Originally Posted By: Wyverns
Where can I find them Stewie?

That also applies to Imperial Oil and Petro-Canada, as well. Check their websites for lubricant and fuel distributors, and go from there. Out west, at least, normal Shell distributors can't sell Pennzoil-Quaker State stuff, only Bluewave Energy does. Use the websites and go from there. The phone book's yellow pages aren't very brand descriptive, usually.

I get Delvac 1 from the distributor at a price close to conventional from Walmart or CT at regular prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back