Tie rod question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of price, which tie rods should last the longer? Motorcraft or Napa chassis parts? 99 f150. I am having this work done, so It needs to be done one time with quality parts. These parts cost about the same from both brands.

I replaced my OEM Ford tie rod ends on my truck with Raybestos "Professional Grade" units which appear to be stouter and greaseable with Zerk fittings. They have a lifetime warranty. Avoid the Raybestos "Service Grade" line which just meets OEM quality and is only warranted for one year.

Raybestos Chassis Professional Grade

Last edited:
I know you said regardless of price, but you should check out Rock Auto and price their Moog parts. Lifetime warranty and serviceable.

I prefer OEM whenever possible, but I really dislike how some OEM steering components aren't serviceable.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I know you said regardless of price, but you should check out Rock Auto and price their Moog parts. Lifetime warranty and serviceable.

I prefer OEM whenever possible, but I really dislike how some OEM steering components aren't serviceable.

The greaseable ones (Moog) that I have used gave much lower life than the OEM (555) non-greaseable ones. I thought greasing was a good idea but it has not been my experience.

When I put new tie rods on my Silverado I went with OEM GM. I figure they were the ones which meet FMVSS requirements, that is important to me when it comes to tie rods.

I am actually looking at RA and will likely buy from there, unless Napa will give a longer service life. The small price difference is not an issue.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

The greaseable ones (Moog) that I have used gave much lower life than the OEM (555) non-greaseable ones. I thought greasing was a good idea but it has not been my experience.

Very odd.

Not questioning your experience, but this does seem very backwards. Never heard this before.

The greaseables use some sort of older tech that might not be up to snuff. Goes against a lot of what I believe.
laugh.gif

Very odd.

Not questioning your experience, but this does seem very backwards. Never heard this before.

Ehh, it's just one of those things I saw and then my brain forever is locked into "greaseable = bad" modes. But it was what did happen.

Of course not all non-greaseable ones are the same either, a lot of the no name Taiwan parts don't seem to last.

I'd go with Motorcraft unless you see a lot of nasty offroad conditions (such as true "mudding"). I've had good service thus far out of the Napa Chassis tie rods on my Mustang (about 40k and still nice and tight) so I can't complaint about those... but why install a greasable part that may or may not last as long as the original AND require more service?

You can't go wrong with Motorcraft, however the Napa Chassis Parts are very good quality and I wouldn't hesitate to use them. In fact, I just replaced the outer tie rods on my Accord 2 weeks ago and I used Napa Chassis (OEM was way more expensive). I also used all Napa Chassis parts to totally rebuild the front end on my Bronco (including the tie rods).

Napa's cheaper line (Master Ride) on the other hand, is junk.

Pricing on R/A shows the Motorcraft OEM was actually cheaper than the NAPA higher end line. They were around $5-8 cheaper per tierod I believe.

NAPA Chassis premium grade are the same as Rabestos prememium grade and I really like them alot. I also use Moog chassis premium line also as far as OE labeled parts god knows who makes them just because they have a name on a box. The OE parts could be totally different from what the sell out of the parts network.

Originally Posted By: vssjim
NAPA Chassis premium grade are the same as Rabestos prememium grade and I really like them alot. I also use Moog chassis premium line also as far as OE labeled parts god knows who makes them just because they have a name on a box. The OE parts could be totally different from what the sell out of the parts network.

Yes, sometimes I am given a TRW brand part, but it is identical to the OEM part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back