Synthetic oil for a classic Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confused as to which oil I should run in it and whether it needs special oil with high ZDDP because it's a flat tappet engine. The engine is a brand new remanufactured engine from ATK, 3514bbl Windsor so I want it to have the best stuff possible. The only high performance synthetic I can find with ZDDP is Amsoil ZRod oil. I know the EPA has pressured oil companies to cut down on ZDDP levels to protect catalytic converters, this car never came with those atrocities so I'm not worried about harming any emissions equipment! I was hoping I could run something like Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 but can't find any info on zinc levels in that oil anywhere. I really like the looks of Pennzoil synthetics but don't want something that will harm my engine either. What should I use? There are ZDDP additives you can buy but they are pretty spendy, I'd rather just buy an oil with high levels of ZDDP, seems cheaper in the long run. I'd have no problem ordering Amsoil either but want to see what my other options are. Thank you! Will be considering a synthetic oil for the 351 Windsor in my old Bronco as well.

Mobil 1 high mileage has elevated ZDDP. It's a very good oil for older engines with FT camshafts, and available at your local Wal-Mart. 10W-30 should work well. Don't add any additives.

Rotella T6 5W40 will work. It has high levels of ZDDP. Probably one of the highest for an SN. There are some great UOA's for flat tappet engines with this oil.

Oh..... How and how often will you drive it? Will you drive it in cold weather? Will you drive it hard?

Amsoil Z-Rod is advertised as having additional corrosion-inhibitors for classic vehicles that tend to sit for long periods without being driven. That's the premium option.

Mobil 1 High Mileage would be my choice.

M1 0w-40 Euro Formula has elevated zinc at 1000 ppm+. I think some of the 0w-30 SL rated oils like Castrol Edge have it as well. Castrol 0w-40 is another one to check along with other MB 229.3/229.5, LL-01, Porsche A40, rated oils.

The elevated ZDDP levels are required for aggressive cams with higher rate valve springs. So what did ATK build for you? And what does ATK recommend? New motor, I'd go with their recommendation first.

Maxlife 10W-40 is getting good comment in a lot of hot-rod forums. I used Delo400 15W-40, and have for a long time in built engines. But I have Calif winter temps that mean no stress cold flow...

Almost any premium oil will work if it has a mild cam and springs. There are literally tens of millions of flat tappet motors out there on any rated oils (SM, now SN).

THE most popular oil by 2:1 over the next leading brand for hot-rod motors over at Chevelles.com (where a LOT of stout SBC and BBC motor guys hang out) is Valvoline VR1 (silver bottle). Next runner up is Mobil1, followed by Brad-Penn, followed by Maxlife and a slew of others...

Amsoil and Royal Purple are way down the list. Not saying they are not good, but consensus is VR1 by a wide margin.

If it were me, I'd be running VR1 if the motor is built much at all. Of course you can go read 540RAT's blog and see what he came up with... But anything in his top 1/3 will be good oil. Good enough to keep most anything alive for a long time.

I've got two SBF's running well into the 200,000+ mile range running Delo400. But if I had a new motor, I'd still ask ATK what they recommend?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Oh..... How and how often will you drive it? Will you drive it in cold weather? Will you drive it hard?

Just in the summer, will be driving pretty modestly with some good wind ups on the highway now and then.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Amsoil Zrod you want the best.
Why would the Amsoil be the best?

I run Schaeffer's 20w50 Racing oil .... i called their tech number and after a discussion i feel that this oil is a good fit for my application.

I'm sure most on here will disagree, but if you have an iconic classic car with a freshly rebuilt engine you want to give it the 'best' option, not the 'it'll be fine' option.
It won't be doing a whole lot of miles and you're prepared to spend money on it knowing that classic cars always need attention and maintenance?

Redine.

The key term in your description is "Re manufactured". Which basically means "New".

Use whatever oil you want that's the proper grade for the ambient temp in your locale, or the grade Ford originally recommended.

I'll get shot for saying this, but unless you plan on driving severe or never changing your oil (or the filter), then you don't need syn.

Originally Posted By: Noey
The key term in your description is "Re manufactured". Which basically means "New".

Use whatever oil you want that's the proper grade for the ambient temp in your locale, or the grade Ford originally recommended.

I'll get shot for saying this, but unless you plan on driving severe or never changing your oil (or the filter), then you don't need syn.

Even though it's a flat tappet engine it can run fine on any oil? I just want synthetic because I like it better. The car will get driven pretty hard from time to time so deserves the best.

Modern high quality SN oils don't have high zddp but they use other anti wear additives that are fine for flat tappet engines that don't run high spring pressure. If you want high zddp just to feel good the 40 grades have higher allowable limits such as mentioned already Mobil 1 0W40 and Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30, 10w30, 10w40. In the Mobil 1 HM 30 grade flavors they carry an API SL rating since the zddp is above SM/SN limits.

Personally I'd use Mobil 1 0W40 European Formula and be done with it, you get more HTHSV than the 30 grades, plus it's thick and loaded and will flow in any temperatures you need it to if you are in a cold place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back