New Mobil LL-01 - Mobil Super 3000 X1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across this when looking to see if any of the oils mentioned by jkhawaii in his thread happened the be available in Canada, out of curiosity. It's a very new sheet, and I'd never seen it before, nor have heard of the specific product. I have no idea if this is supposed to be a bulk only product a distributor only item, or even container sizes. Many of the Mobil 3000 series in Canada are bulk sizes only.

It doesn't look to be a triumphant replacement for the previous M1 0w-40 for LL-01 users, but at least it has the specification. On a brighter note, it does have the highly sought after Lada builder approval, which was obviously a big shortcoming in the M1 0w-40.

Garak,

Originally Posted By: Garak
It's a very new sheet, and I'd never seen it before, nor have heard of the specific product.

I think in Europe we have it for quite some time (at least 3 years). There are several variations: http://www.reifendirekt.ch/cgi-bin/oshop...icle_disabled=1 however in terms of specs/price ratio these oils are not better than competitors (Shell Helix Ultra, or Valvoline SynPower).

Last edited:
No MB 229.5 approval, which probably means Noack isn't that great. I suppose it may not matter for most applications though.

Quattro Pete,

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
No MB 229.5 approval, which probably means Noack isn't that great. I suppose it may not matter for most applications though.

True, we are idealists here. But we have to realize that oil manufactures do not aim to make a single oil with top specs and sell it for the same price. I've been looking at this Mobil 3000 series for the last 3 years and like you I also do not like the fact that they only spec MB 229.3. Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30 has lower price and specs MB 229.5, so ...

Last edited:
I'll have to ask Imperial Oil, but I have a feeling this one is aimed at shops, like just about every other 3000 series product here. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it were only available in bulk sizes. But, it is interesting.

The NOACK doesn't concern me much, I'd probably just use it in a lower output car or one that isn't driven a ton.

It could be interesting for those looking for perhaps enhanced ZDDP and HTHS. Of course, I'm not sure what pricing is going to look at in comparison to Imperial Oil's HDEOs, which are exceedingly hard to beat. Beating any of the Delvac 1 series on price at Imperial Oil is exceedingly hard. Beating Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 is just about impossible.

dparm,

Originally Posted By: dparm
The NOACK doesn't concern me much, I'd probably just use it in a lower output car or one that isn't driven a ton.

I did some more digging and according to this bitog discussion it seems like MB 229.3 would be preferred over MB 229.5 if the car does not explicitely ask for MB 229.5 due to more strict cam wear limits.

Can anyone confirm this?

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
I did some more digging and according to this bitog discussion it seems like MB 229.3 would be preferred over MB 229.5 if the car does not explicitely ask for MB 229.5 due to more strict cam wear limits.

Can anyone confirm this?

That info is incorrect. 229.5 actually has stricter wear limits on some tests. Afton handbook has all the details.

Maybe some 10 years back it was correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back