Car repair has become module sensor replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paper written prior to 2000.

Abstract

The highest rates of growth for sensors have been in the automotive sector. Forecasts (Prognos Studie: Sensortechnik 2000) suggest a 14% annual increase in sales to reach 15 billion DM by 1995. This is due to a spectacular rise in electronic functions in motor cars that started in the seventies. The period up to the eighties was characterized by the substitution of mechanical functions, a trend driven by the need for lower costs, greater reliability and easier system integration. Today, entirely new electronics functions such as exhaust-gas monitoring, active suspension and integrated traffic guidance systems are becoming available. These innovations are driven by the need for manufacturers to produce an attractive range of products as well as more stringent safety, environmental and economic demands. This is where sensors play a key role. Their important tasks include the monitoring of, e.g., the quantity and composition of engine fluids and pollutants, as well as to measure physical parameters of mechanical automotive components and actuators, and the vehicle position and speed with respect to the road. The limits of growth are determined by costs. Measured by the average gross earnings of an industrial worker, the price of a car has remained stable at one yearly gross income during the past 50 years. Opportunities for growth therefore depend purely on the systems benefit of a sensor. This means reducing complexity and costs as well as enhancing the reliability of existing functions and implementing even more sophisticated applications with no significant increase in costs. Microelectronics and sensorics are the key technologies here. Whereas information density is continuing to increase unabated in microelectronics, thus making individual functions even cheaper, a comparable process is only now starting in sensorics. Apart from the discovery of new effects and the improvement of existing materials, a change toward system integration is occurring on two levels. At the technological level, sensorics and processing are converging. At the logical systems-technology level, sensors are becoming modularized and networked with sensors in other subsectors of the motor car. To achieve the desired benefits in good time, this path toward microsystems technology will also necessitate new structures in research and technology. The key concept here is parallel engineering: in the future, materials research and integration technologies will have even less time to respond to the mandatory requirements of automobile system design. They will have to come up with technology-driven advances. If automotive and sensor engineers cooperate intensively, no limits in growth of sensor utilization can yet be discerned.

Well in my opinion they have succeeded. Some important functions are monitored and controlled for great benefit to improve engine durability, performance, pollution control and safety.

Many useless systems using sensors and control modules have been built into modern cars for no benefit other than providing profit to the car companies and dealerships. Cadillac with useless motors, sensors and controls to provide the perceived luxury of having the trunk close without slamming. Dashboard instrument modules that invoice at $2000 and take an additional $1000 to install when they short. Transmission control modules etc.

I don't require much in a car. Power steering, manual transmission, power windows, air conditioning, ABS, that's about it. Make it reliable. I don't need costly sensors that monitor my tire pressure. I can measure my tire pressure myself. Don't give me a heated cup holder that trips a check engine light.

Car manufacturers go to great lengths to tout their low cost of maintenance for their cars. A great percentage of their profit has come in the repair of electro-mechanical monitor and control systems they have designed into their products.

Quote:
Cadillac with useless motors, sensors and controls to provide the perceived luxury of having the trunk close without slamming.

They have used this closing system since the mid 1970's.

It says prior to 2000, but I would love to know when it was written.

There are lots of folks who would rather have a set of Koni or Bilstein shocks than megabucks worth of "highly reliablle" electronic suspension. I can get all the "in car entertainment" I want from a single DIN sized radio. A smaller dash and more room for the humans would be nice. I can live with switching the rear view mirror by myself and I would trade my electric seat for seat heaters in a New York second.

...add to that my refund for the alloys I'd never want or ask for, the freakin' retractable sunroof, dead cow seats and TPMS.
When I get a car with "Tip-over" protection I'll add it to the list.

Stupid, unfit, clueless Americans can't check their tire pressure so I have to buy 4 x $75 transistor radios for my tires....makes my blood boil.

I was born in Brooklyn so back off.

Boy I totally agree with all the complaints about all the unnecessary STUFF on todays cars. That is why I just buy the cheapest model (trim) of the car I want. For instance I decided I wanted a Ford fusion, so I bought the "S" model, not the "SE" or the even higher priced models. In my opinion it still has way to much "stuff" but it is better. I liked the old days when you could start with a base car with hardly anything but a body, drive train, and tires, and add what you wanted from there. I don't even need a radio, as I can't even remember the last time I turned it on.

I like the sensors and high-tech stuff. The only sensors I've ever had to change were O2 sensors. I'd much rather have my tire pressure on my dashboard in my new Camry than have to check it manually in my older cars. Progress marches on.

People ranted about horseless buggies and how much more reliable the old horse was.

But don't let me rain on your party, rant away.

If I may add one more thing to all the above (excellent) comments: what's up with so many new cars coming equipped with what appears to be an iPad standing upright on the dash? To me it looks tacky and is in the drivers sight line, no doubt on purpose.
If I were to buy a new car right now, it'd be a Mazda 3 hatch back base model ( hub caps and all) strictly because it's a simple car, relatively speaking.
But there's that stupid iPad looking me right in the face....

Originally Posted By: old1
Boy I totally agree with all the complaints about all the unnecessary STUFF on todays cars. That is why I just buy the cheapest model (trim) of the car I want. For instance I decided I wanted a Ford fusion, so I bought the "S" model, not the "SE" or the even higher priced models. In my opinion it still has way to much "stuff" but it is better. I liked the old days when you could start with a base car with hardly anything but a body, drive train, and tires, and add what you wanted from there. I don't even need a radio, as I can't even remember the last time I turned it on.

Those days are long gone...
But you have to have a radio because it supports your handfree phone call, because some doofus was holding a phone and a cup of coffee, putting on makeup and reading the paper and killed a grandma. And you have to have TPS because someone didn't keep their tire pressure up, the tire overheated, an accident occurred from the blowout, and it was grandpa this time. Can't you understand that the federal and state laws are for your protection and benefit? ( Do not take that seriously... I am on the same page as you!)
All those sensors, and subsysytems connected by can lines in every vehicle do make the troubleshooting a little easier for the tech, but I am all for a base model car, point A to B, and I'll wait to make a phone call. I drove a dang long time with windows down, no cell phone, and a small 9v transistor radio hanging from the rear view with an AM station playing the ballgame.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Weekly rant against technology in cars - check.

Wouldn't be BITOG without it.

Next up is sure to be something about the government plotting to take away our freedom, then if we're lucky we'll have a refresher on how one should only ever pay cash for a car.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I like the sensors and high-tech stuff. The only sensors I've ever had to change were O2 sensors. I'd much rather have my tire pressure on my dashboard in my new Camry than have to check it manually in my older cars. Progress marches on.

People ranted about horseless buggies and how much more reliable the old horse was.

I would like it to be an option. You would opt for the monitor and I would not. It is not optional and it is required in some states to pass inspection. At $160/set sensors, I'll pass.

You could argue it is a significant safety advancement as it is important to vehicle safety to have properly inflated tires. A great many people ignore the TPMS for weeks. Maybe some education is in order.

I check my tire pressure bimonthly and I don't consider the condition of my vehicle to be a hazard. I do have the opinion that ABS and ESC should be mandatory safety equipment. Those are significant safety advancements.

Chime in as you feel free. Everyone has an opinion.

Originally Posted By: Padawan

Wouldn't be BITOG without it.

Next up is sure to be something about the government plotting to take away our freedom, then if we're lucky we'll have a refresher on how one should only ever pay cash for a car.

Wait a minute do I know you? you the guy at (1:43) in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWHA1fsPSH4

I am going to go out on a limb here. You one of those guys that has parking assist on your cars because you can't parallel park?

Originally Posted By: Leo99

I'd rather not pay the 300 bucks to replace the sensors when the battery runs down in each of them. I can still use a pressure gauge myself.

Originally Posted By: deoxy4

I am going to go out on a limb here. You one of those guys that has parking assist on your cars because you can't parallel park?

Let me guess. You are one of the trolls that pop up as newbies on this site?

Originally Posted By: deoxy4

Let me guess. You are one of the trolls that pop up as newbies on this site?

No Nate1979. When did you register, 2013? Just didn't feel your comment added anything informative. You could have just moved on without comment to something you found interesting.

Did some old some old goat write this article?

They still sell relatively basic but decent vehicles that run near flawless till 150k. Above that they start to require some attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back