Switching to a thinner oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1995 Toyota Tacoma with close to 300k miles on it, have been putting 5w-30 oil (synthetic blend) in it for years, usually every 3000 miles but occasionally not until 5-6k. Based on some of the things I've read here I've been considering switching to 0W-20. Mainly because of my commute;

I live about 10 minutes from work, and while I usually let the engine run for 30-60 seconds after starting it in the morning, I'm usually more than halfway to work before the engine gets to operating temp (at least, thats when the coolant is warm enough that I get hot air from my heater). I might drive further once or twice a week, but I'd guess at least 40% of the time my engine is below operating temp. I'm not one to drive hard, I usually shift gears at 3.75k on the tachometer and red-line is at 5k. And I very seldom tow anything though I do keep a lot of stuff in the back.

I live near Seattle, but far enough in the mountains that temps of 20-30F in the morning when I leave are common enough in the winter, and probably 50-60 in the summer.

Does going with a thinner grade seem reasonable given my driving conditions, or should I stick with 5W-30?

It's a 2.4L manual transmission if that makes any difference.

Any thoughts or opinions much appreciated.

Thanks,

What are your reasons for wanting to switch to a 0w20? Why do you think the 0w20 will make a difference?

5w30 has obviously been working well in your truck, so I vote stick with it. If anything try a 0w30.

Also, Welcome to BITOG!

I'd stick with whatever oil got the engine to 300K miles. No need to change a thing in this case.

Why in the world would you tamper with success? Are you tired of owning and driving your vehicle?

At 300K you should just keep on keeping on. Putting thinner oil in an engine that was never spec'd for it and an engine with ever increasing clearances just does not make any sense at all.

If you want to try something how about a synthetic oil for your tranny and diff. I use Red Line but there are other good choices as well. The extra expense over conventional lubricants is offset by the fact that you don't change them as often as engine oil. You might like the smoother shifting, too.

Originally Posted By: 95taco
I have a 1995 Toyota Tacoma with close to 300k miles on it, have been putting 5w-30 oil (synthetic blend) in it for years, usually every 3000 miles but occasionally not until 5-6k. Based on some of the things I've read here I've been considering switching to 0W-20. Mainly because of my commute;

I live about 10 minutes from work, and while I usually let the engine run for 30-60 seconds after starting it in the morning, I'm usually more than halfway to work before the engine gets to operating temp (at least, thats when the coolant is warm enough that I get hot air from my heater). I might drive further once or twice a week, but I'd guess at least 40% of the time my engine is below operating temp. I'm not one to drive hard, I usually shift gears at 3.75k on the tachometer and red-line is at 5k. And I very seldom tow anything though I do keep a lot of stuff in the back.

I live near Seattle, but far enough in the mountains that temps of 20-30F in the morning when I leave are common enough in the winter, and probably 50-60 in the summer.

Does going with a thinner grade seem reasonable given my driving conditions, or should I stick with 5W-30?

It's a 2.4L manual transmission if that makes any difference.

Any thoughts or opinions much appreciated.

Thanks,
Just because you read it, do you if what you read is actual fact, opinion, or corporate speak.

Originally Posted By: 95taco

I live in the exact same area (Cascade foothills) and have similar usage. We have an 02 Lexus V6, with the Toyota 1mz that came out in '96, and I've looked into thinner oil. There is a REAL debate about whether it is good for the engine or just good for the company and government. I do not know the answer myself, but given success, and what the Toyota engineers recommended at the time when the US Government was not holding a gun to their head over CAFE, I would not change from the 5w-30, AND:

Quote:
If anything,I'd use a 10W30.

+1

Our weather is ideal for 10w-30 use year-round. It is a less modified oil than 5w and "stouter." I run it in our car and my SUV, and both my parents' cars. Our Lexus already has 255k miles on it and uses no oil between loong changes. I would not at this point in its life switch to a thinner oil. If you want a step up in oil from your blend, Mobil 1 10w-30 HM is cheap at Walmart, and as cheap as anything bargain when you couple it with M1 rebates (currently $12 off 5/qts).

Try a 5w-20 conventional or HM. At 300k, I'd stay away from a full synthetic, lest you expose a hidden leak.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

If you want to try something how about a synthetic oil for your tranny and diff. I use Red Line but there are other good choices as well. The extra expense over conventional lubricants is offset by the fact that you don't change them as often as engine oil. You might like the smoother shifting, too.

I agree. Redline MT90 in both the manual transmission amd transfer case. You'll like the smoother shifting during those morning commutes.

Rarely driving a vehicle until engine warms fully falls under severe driving conditions. 5W30 offers better protection than 0W20. Plus 5W30 has served you right so far. Don't trust the internet if 300K of success right in front of you tell you otherwise.

welcome2.gif

In your case, keep using the 30. My choice would be a HM 5w30 or 10w30.

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Rarely driving a vehicle until engine warms fully falls under severe driving conditions. 5W30 offers better protection than 0W20. Plus 5W30 has served you right so far. Don't trust the internet if 300K of success right in front of you tell you otherwise.

If the engine is not up to temp., the oil is too thick. You'd want a thinner oil under those circumstances, even the 20weight would be thicker than the 30 at op temp.

You might maybe see better MPG's with 0w20, but with the high mileage you might start consuming more oil. Go for a 0w30 if you're going to switch

Originally Posted By: tig1
A 95 with 300K. Keep doing what you are doing.

My thoughts also...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back