California is awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Warming Center"...like a mall, library, or movie theater?
;^)

When our daughter was born, we only had a little AC in her room and fans for the rest of the house. The summer when she was about 1 was terribly hot around here and we couldn't stay in her little room all day, so we would go to a mall and trudge around during the hottest midday hours. Finally ponied up for central air...we had no trouble affording it, the wife just insisted until the end that "we didn't need it in New England".
We didn't NEED granite countertops, either, honey, but you got those, right?

Last edited:
It's all about what you're used to, I guess. My family in SW Florida has to get heated seats on all their vehicles, and use them even when the weather is in the 70s! They grew up in MI, but have just become so accustomed to warmer weather.

Last night the temperature plummeted all the way down to 63F. It was so cold we almost had to close the sliding glass door to the deck. It was a close call.

Two days ago it rained so hard the ground got wet and there were several puddles in the driveway. We were prepared because of the storm watch posted by the local news station warning us to be prepared.

In Southern California you have to be prepared. The weather could change and you might get wet or have to wear a jacket. And every year you should turn on your heater just so you remember how to do it. At our house we wrote the instructions on a 3x5 card that includes directions to locate the thermostat.

Sometimes its a struggle dealing with inclement weather here but we're up to the challenge.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

real men bust into pieces the builder grade laminate,
pour onsite concrete countertops (with green and brown glass pieces from all the beer necessary for the herculean effort) then the missus could be the most interesting in the community... :p
when i was younger, in a country far-far away, when the temperature hit more than 40C the local sport was to watch the chicks in stilettos getting them stuck in the asphalt walkways and the spectacle ensuing.
OP, I thought 59F is when short sleeve, motorcycles and lighter flip-lops appear?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
...It was a close call....

...The weather could change and you might get wet or have to wear a jacket....
At our house we wrote the instructions on a 3x5 card that includes directions to locate the thermostat.

you own me a keyboard cleaning....
and a cup of breakfast tea....

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Last night the temperature plummeted all the way down to 63F. It was so cold we almost had to close the sliding glass door to the deck. It was a close call.

Two days ago it rained so hard the ground got wet and there were several puddles in the driveway. We were prepared because of the storm watch posted by the local news station warning us to be prepared.

In Southern California you have to be prepared. The weather could change and you might get wet or have to wear a jacket. And every year you should turn on your heater just so you remember how to do it. At our house we wrote the instructions on a 3x5 card that includes directions to locate the thermostat.

Sometimes its a struggle dealing with inclement weather here but we're up to the challenge.

It went up to near 63F a couple days ago and we let the fire go out, and opened up the windows a crack so it wasn't too hot for sleeping...

I made it official in our house that the heat is off. We had a couple nice days and the price of heating my old house is insane. It was a command decision that will be quickly forgotten by my wife.

Funny how times change. Growing up on our farm we had no AC. All the bedrooms were closed off from the kitchen living room, and the furnace was shut down at night in the winter and Dad would get up an hour or so before everybody to fire it back up. People talk about the good ole days. No thanks, I will take 24 hour AC and heat available whenever needed.

We might use the heat a week out of the year here. We went for about a three year stretch where we didn't use the heat at all. I just installed a roof top evaporative cooler for the summer months.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Funny how times change. Growing up on our farm we had no AC. All the bedrooms were closed off from the kitchen living room, and the furnace was shut down at night in the winter and Dad would get up an hour or so before everybody to fire it back up. People talk about the good ole days. No thanks, I will take 24 hour AC and heat available whenever needed.

It's amazing though, how a reasonably tight house, with some insulation, and a good stove makes wood heating hardly a chore at all.
Our stove is on the main floor of our open concept house, right beside an exterior door. We add 3-4 sticks, 2-3 times a day without restarting the fire for weeks or a couple months, if we don't go away for the weekend.
We almost didn't put ours in but I'm glad we did now. After a decade its saved some decent money compared to propane and the fuel grows on trees!

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
"Warming Center"...like a mall, library, or movie theater?
;^)

When our daughter was born, we only had a little AC in her room and fans for the rest of the house. The summer when she was about 1 was terribly hot around here and we couldn't stay in her little room all day, so we would go to a mall and trudge around during the hottest midday hours. Finally ponied up for central air...we had no trouble affording it, the wife just insisted until the end that "we didn't need it in New England".
Were your work places air conditioned?

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
My local morning news made a big deal about warming centers being open today because it's going to rain for 3 hours and the high temperature is only going to be 59 degrees! LOL...

If it is the channel I am thinking of, the last time they threatened for Cox Cable to drop them I called and asked if we would get the LA ABC, CBS, and Fox channels. They did not like my call.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
It's all about what you're used to, I guess. My family in SW Florida has to get heated seats on all their vehicles, and use them even when the weather is in the 70s! They grew up in MI, but have just become so accustomed to warmer weather.

I didn't give it much thought when I saw on the sticker that our 2015 Rogue came with heated seats. Now I'm glad I have them. Dec, Jan,and Feb mornings here in the desert can be in the low 30s and those heated seats sure felt nice then. Yes, it is all what your used to. Winter visitors are running around in shorts and t-shirts, and those of us who live here are wearing long sleeves, long pants, and jackets.

With heating oil dipping under $1.50 during this heating season, I didn't care one bit about "splurging" while raising the average household temp from 60 deg to 62 deg F.

The few times I visited Southern California I always loved it...all of it except the traffic. The dry, warm summers in norther Idaho were exceptional. The winters in Florida not bad either.

Heck it was 47 yesterday here and I had my office window open all day and opened the windows on the house all afternoon! Might hit 60 on Saturday, I'll be out on the lakes ice fishing in shorts for one last hurrah then it'll be waiting for the ice to go and the boats to come back out.

Although local TV news outlets tend to be more "space fillers" than involve themselves with adult news, it's typical for them to promote designated "warming centers" and "cooling centers" as a public service.

Where I am, these centers are geared toward the elderly and, to a lesser extent, the homeless. There was a homeless man in my town who lived under a creek bridge that recently died of pneumonia after the rains. Some of these people are out of reach, while others might benefit. I tend to look at it in that context rather than more California-bashing based on the premise of these centers being some kind of nanny state enterprise or la-la land endeavor because of the temperate weather that isn't needed.

California is mostly the land of earthquakes and idiots yeah, I live in California. It used to be a great state.

Yeah, I can't disagree...my only problem is when people start assigning things for California-bashing that don't have relevance to the actual reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back