Mg 4
Si 3
Na 4
P 840
Zn 18

KV100 7.3
Flash Point 390F
TAN 2.5

Additive pack looks quite strong but could it be the reason for higher TAN than any other sent to public, like 1.5 or less? Probably it delivers better antiwear protection as Amsoil declares but I wonder if with higher TAN it can be used so long as OEM, especially that quite expensive fluid?
FP is lower than provided in data sheet.

Opinions welcome. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: wlyszkow
Additive pack looks quite strong but could it be the reason for higher TAN than any other sent to public, like 1.5 or less? Probably it delivers better antiwear protection as Amsoil declares but I wonder if with higher TAN it can be used so long as OEM, especially that quite expensive fluid?
Though a different type of lube, on this sheet there is a VOA of Amsoil 75W-140 (Column D) that I sent to Blackstone a few years ago. The TAN is 3.1 as virgin oil, yet the UOA at 80K (Column B) shows oil that is quite usable and the TAN had only risen to 4.3. Blackstone has said until the TAN rises above 8.x that it is not even a concern and even then it has to be carefully evaluated along with other attributes in the UOA. I am confident the Amsoil can go past any OEM fluid.

TAN 8.x looks too high to me.

SAE paper on Dex IIIH:
The specification on the GMOT is that delta TAN (difference in total acid number compared with the fresh oil) at the end of the test does not exceed 3.25 while the specifications on GMCT are that delta TAN cannot exceed 2.0.

Originally Posted By: wlyszkow
TAN 8.x looks too high to me.

SAE paper on Dex IIIH:
The specification on the GMOT is that delta TAN (difference in total acid number compared with the fresh oil) at the end of the test does not exceed 3.25 while the specifications on GMCT are that delta TAN cannot exceed 2.0.

I'm not seeing your point. These are different tests with different limits. Additionally this discussion is about VOA values not delta values.

Last edited:
Quote:
Probably it delivers better antiwear protection as Amsoil declares but I wonder if with higher TAN it can be used so long as OEM, especially that quite expensive fluid?

Sample fluid at 30,000 and see if TAN has risen.

If the formulation has good anti-oxidants, metal inhibitors, and decent base oils, then the TAN should not rise appreciably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back