Amoco Ultimate Still Available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amoco Ultimate used to be known as the best fuel - I remember my dad always liking it, and I remember it was crystal-clear as I watched it go into my motorcycle's tank. Some of the BP/Amoco stations even had the little sight glass on the pump handle with the little balls in it, so you could actually see that it was clear.

Haven't paid much attention to fuels lately, as I haven't been doing much sportbike riding, and I just put Wal-Mart or Kroger lo-test gas into my Tacoma mostly.

But now that I'm getting a new WRX, and it's got direct injection, and Subaru recommends 93, I'm starting to think about what the cleanest fuel or the fuel with the best additives is.

So, all the old Amoco stations are now BP... Do they still have Amoco Ultimate as their hi-test, or not? Or is it only in certain areas? Looking at BP's site, Amoco Ultimate is still mentioned.

Im not calling the claim a scam, but it can be misleading. I used to siphon out ATF and refill with new. Well, the used, old ATF came out looking cherry red.....it wasnt until I had a large amount collcted in a clear bottle or jug that you could notice the difference between fresh and used.

Like, put a few drops of iced tea on a white napkin and it may be impossible to tell it from water....but fill a jug with each and it should be obvious.

Also, I think BP has called it wuits in my area. Our neighboring town 'had' a BP, but it is now boarded up and derelict.

I havent seen an Amoco in a while. But yeah my Gearhead Grandpa seemed to like it and I would seek it out sometimes.

When BP took over Amoco they took over the formulations that Amoco had been making as well. My step father worked at the local Amoco oil refinery in Yorktown VA when BP took over. There was no change in how they made the 93 ultimate at that time. When BP sold this refinery I'm sure the ability to make this formulation went with BP and was not given to Giant petroleum who bought the refinery.
Question is today does BP still utilize the Ultimate formulation?? That I would be curious to know the answer to as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back