UOA on quarter million mile Grand Am (3400 V6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valvoline conventional 5W30 (with a splash of 10W30 as fill) run for 4,600 miles, mostly highway miles in winter. Over a quarter million miles on the engine.

odo_zpsdhloqyeu.jpg

blackstone_zpso30qu2un.jpg

EDIT: It's a 2001 Grand Am

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Do you park the car at all during with winter?

No, girlfriend uses it as her DD year round, 45 minute commute.

Looks good. As long as the intake manifold gaskets are replaced, those are very strong engines. My girlfriend has had 2 1999 Grand Ams, but both had the 2.4 4-cylinder. Those were really good engines as well.

VWB has a lot of zinc. Glad to see the Grand Am rolling on. My GF uses an old GM of mine for a long daily commute. 98 Cavalier, 276,000

I would up the mileage like they suggest.

Viscosity has really held up well being >10.0. And zinc >1000 ppm is up there with SL oils and M1 0w-40. Nice.

Really does look great man. Valvoline is very good oil across their lineup. I hope your car holds up for a good while to come.

Have you ever had the intake manifold gaskets replaced?

I had the 3.1 version of this motor in my Buick Century and it was a very good, economical engine but it needed IMG replaced before 100K. I've read of several going over 300K and one going nearly 800K (in taxi use) but the IMG's needed replacing almost as a maintenance item...

Originally Posted By: pbm

Not to my knowledge, but I've only 'known' this car for about 3 years (when I started dating the owner). The biggest issue with this car is that it's on its 4th alternator, apparently the rebuilt ones that keep getting installed aren't up to snuff.

Would evidence of a bad intake gasket be visible on UOA? Excess silicon from dirt bypassing filtration? The car runs great, check engine light is on 24/7 due to an EVAP code, so I scan it with a cheap bluetooth scanner and smartphone app periodically to see if it's throwing any other codes.

I am confused about the zinc and phos. levels in your oil, when PQIA shows that oil as much lower than that. Was it old SL oil?

Originally Posted By: blackstone
Even 'though you added some 10W/30, the oil's viscosity still read within the 5W/30 range

Seriously, are they getting the Janitorial staff to write their inane comments now ?

Keep doing what you are doing.

Originally Posted By: bspag
Originally Posted By: pbm

Not to my knowledge, but I've only 'known' this car for about 3 years (when I started dating the owner). The biggest issue with this car is that it's on its 4th alternator, apparently the rebuilt ones that keep getting installed aren't up to snuff.

Would evidence of a bad intake gasket be visible on UOA? Excess silicon from dirt bypassing filtration? The car runs great, check engine light is on 24/7 due to an EVAP code, so I scan it with a cheap bluetooth scanner and smartphone app periodically to see if it's throwing any other codes.

Yes, a UOA would show coolant (potassium and sodium) in the oil unless you are using an oil containing sodium like Valvoline....

Looks great!
My daughter drives a 2000 Grand AM GT with the V6. Every time I look at the car I thank god its still runs well.
History - We bought used, 6 years ago, for her 16th birthday, 106,000 miles on it then. Now in her last semester of a 4 year college, the car still runs :eek:) Mileage is approx 185,000. Its beat up for sure, after all, she got it at the age of 16, car took a physical beating, minor stuff *L*

But that engine and transmission, still good, dont want to say to much and jinx myself.
Never did a UOA on it, just said my prayers for it to keep running until she can buy one herself.
A Few more months of college holding my breath. It MAY use 1/2 quart of oil between changes 4000 to 7000 or so miles. I do 50% of the changes, use whatever oil is on sale, cheap syn, mostly conventional, Valvoline, Super Tech and lately Havoline. Plus whatever garbage the 15 minute oil change places use.

Speedo/odometer looks exactly like yours.
Repairs consisted of a new AC compressor some years ago (developed a freon leak, idler pulley, water pump and one alternator plus usual stuff like batteries. Typical GM door window motor issues that I replaced myself, dashboard warping because of the heat in SC but that is pretty much it. I am amazed the car runs as good as it does, its actually still kind of fun to drive.

I will say, I always say to people, the GM hardware will fall apart but the transmission and engine will keep on going and that is what is important, easy to fix the little stuff.

Side note - being this is an oil forum, if you have college kids or anyone in your family who is not savy and takes their car to those oil change places. Be aware, the place is only as good as the people who change the oil, some years ago, my wife and daughter took that car to SEARS for an oil change, when they got home, I looked at the filter, it was the same old dirty filter, looked at the oil, same oil dirty oil. To long of a story, went back, manager swore he saw the kid change the oil, all the mechanics came over to the car and agreed, the kid didnt do the change, he brought the car into the shop and went out back to smoke cigs or whatever. Check your oil and filter after paying someone to do it.

Ps, I have A LOT of respect for Valvoline fluids, nto sure why but I think they are the most unrated on the market, even though, just the last few months I went on a Havoline kick. (price)

Last edited:
Blackstone ran the wrong sample; theres no coolant in this one.
15.gif

Sorry, bad joke. I just have personal experience with one of these engines.

On a more serious note, it looks good! 6K is doable. You might consider swapping to a PH3980/PF53 filter. Its a little longer. Thats all I ran on the Montana.

Originally Posted By: old1
I am confused about the zinc and phos. levels in your oil, when PQIA shows that oil as much lower than that. Was it old SL oil?

That PQIA data is over four years old. I'm sure that the formulation has changed some since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back