Hit in the rear in my Silverado... yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since the day that I bought this truck, I have NEVER been a fan of this tail light design, that GM apparently thought was a good one.

And now that I've been hit in the rear end TWICE (the second time was yesterday morning), they've GOT to GO. There's only so much abuse that my back and neck should have to suffer.

So, here's the question. I want to go to a full LED tail light. I want to replace the housing and everything. I'm not talking about just replacing the bulbs. These lights and housings are absolute garbage, and that's exactly where they are going.

What is a GOOD manufacturer of LED units? I looked at various units on Amazon and others, until my eyes glazed over. I want to install them and forget about them. I want good quality, and I want them to be BRIGHT.

Who have you had good experience with?

IMG_20160308_070132271_zps3t6vrxmt.jpg

What's wrong with that tail light design? I've never had a problem seeing them.

Seems to me like the problem may be drivers who are too busy texting to drive

Distracted drivers hit you and somehow replacing the original design lights will stop them from doing so? ? ?

If you could replace them with radar aimed, auto-firing .458 Winchester Magnum household cannons (one on each side), you might be able to stop them or at least get their attention. Kira

Guys... I don't care anymore, please save the commentary for someone who actually cares. My back can't take much more of this. I have to somehow try to compensate for these idiots.

We have a law in Illinois that you're not supposed to be using your phone while driving, but our good members of the local police union won't enforce the law. The police work for the police union, not for the citizens.

Getting hit twice is two times too many. I only drive this truck about 5,000 miles a year. It's not like I'm driving it day and night, racking up all sorts of crazy miles in it.

I was hit in 2009, and again in 2016.

Again, I'm looking for good suppliers of LED tail lights... not armchair quarterbacks to tell me that my logic is faulty.

Go to flashingbrakelights.com. Keep your present tail light design.

You have the option of LED pulsing 3rd brake light or pulsing tail lights when you apply the brakes. Some of the available options turn into a solid brake lights, after the first two seconds (to avoid being a constant nuisance to drivers behind you).

I have the version with the pulsing 3rd brake LED light on two of my vehicles - that turn into a solid brake light after a couple of seconds. Definitely noticeable to drivers behind you.

Neither car has been rear ended yet. Not a convincing argument, but it is better than the OEM design.

Originally Posted By: Best F100

You have the option of LED pulsing 3rd brake light or pulsing tail lights when you apply the brakes. Some of the available options turn into a solid brake lights, after the first two seconds (to avoid being a constant nuisance to drivers behind you).

I have the version with the pulsing 3rd brake LED light on two of my vehicles - that turn into a solid brake light after a couple of seconds. Definitely noticeable to drivers behind you.

Neither car has been rear ended yet. Not a convincing argument, but it is better than the OEM design.

Pretty sure this is not legal. Next....

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Not sure they're illegal-I've seen them on numerous bikes, even a few semis. Have you considered one of those big shock-absorbing bumper steps, like this-
SPAREBumper.jpg

The problem is, no matter how many idiot drivers hit people, get ticketed, & get their licenses suspended, there seems to be an endless supply of more of them. It's a rare day at work that I don't avoid at least 3 serious accidents.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

SPAREBumper.jpg

This would have been completely useless in accident #1 in 2009, as what hit me was a lifted Jeep. Point of impact was my tailgate, not the bumper.

Nor are most aftermarket LED tail lights.

I'm sure brighter tail lights will help. But something that blinks is also going to help too. If you don't want to get rear ended - I would think you would go for every possible option to avoid it.

The police don't enforce the cell phone laws - which, around here, are free money ... I'm pretty sure they aren't going to enforce your not-DOT rated tail lights and flashing LED brake light strip.

Have you posted over on the gm truck forums? (like gm-trucks.com) They are pretty active with lighting changes over there. Do you have a 2014+?

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

SPAREBumper.jpg

This would have been completely useless in accident #1 in 2009, as what hit me was a lifted Jeep. Point of impact was my tailgate, not the bumper.

Unfortunately, can't protect against everything-that's the only thing I know of that can protect against whiplash impacts. The tailgate probably folded up & absorbed a lot of the impact, like the ENTIRE BACK of my xB did when the cell phone occupied Transit Connect blasted it last year. Fortunately my wife wasn't hurt, just stiff.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I see flashing tail lights on public transit buses regularly. And on bikes. They are amber, though, not red.

I could be wrong, but the only vehicles that are allowed to have blinking/flashing red lights are emergency vehicles. For everyone else, it is forbidden.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Nor are most aftermarket LED tail lights.

I'm sure brighter tail lights will help. But something that blinks is also going to help too. If you don't want to get rear ended - I would think you would go for every possible option to avoid it.

The police don't enforce the cell phone laws - which, around here, are free money ... I'm pretty sure they aren't going to enforce your not-DOT rated tail lights and flashing LED brake light strip.

Spyder lights are approved.

Quote:
The performance lighting offered by SPYDER Auto are compliant with all applicable federal regulations such as D.O.T and compliant to FMVSS code no. 108 and are not only ISO-9000 certified but also ISO-9002 certified as well, unless stated otherwise . As further proof of our regulation compliance, all SPYDER Auto products are also approved by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). State and local laws may vary.

... I want to go to a full LED tail light. I want to replace the housing and everything. I'm not talking about just replacing the bulbs. These lights and housings are absolute garbage, and that's exactly where they are going.

What is a GOOD manufacturer of LED units? I looked at various units on Amazon and others, until my eyes glazed over. I want to install them and forget about them. I want good quality, and I want them to be BRIGHT.

Who have you had good experience with?...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/show...p;highlight=LED

Excerpt:

"…...the products you're asking about [Anzo, Recon, Spyder] are not legitimate, effective, safe, or legal. They are playtoys...trinkets for kids (of any age) who think their vehicle's lights are fashion accessories instead of life-safety equipment. If you are trying to optimize the safety performance of your vehicle's lighting system, Chinese aftermarket trinkets of any description and any brand are definitely not the way to go. That includes all three brands you mention. None of them are legitimate lighting companies; they don't do any optical engineering, they apply fraudulent safety certification and approval markings to their lights, and even those lights that do actually conform to the safety standards tend to give poorer performance and durability than the original-equipment lamps.

It is definitely not categorically true that "LEDs are brighter" than bulbs, and it is not true that any LED retains its intensity longer than any incandescent bulb (some do, some don't), nor is it true that LED lamps are brighter than incandescent lamps (some are, some aren't).

LED tail lamps are not necessarily safer than incandescent ones. Yes, it's true that LEDs are instant-on, but that doesn't mean any LED taillamp is automatically better/safer than any bulb-type taillamp. The basic performance characteristics of the lamp -- peak intensity, intensity distribution, intensity ratio, intensity maintenance with prolonged operation, visible angular range, and physical aspects of durability -- are more important to safety than whether the brake lights come on instantly (LED) or in 200 milliseconds (bulb).

As with headlamps, virtually all of the aftermarket taillamps on the market are toys/junk that will degrade the safety performance of your truck's lighting system rather than enhancing it. You are safest by leaving the stock lamps in place…"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back