The use of red rubber grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a bucket of Castrol red rubber grease. Can I use it to coat (thin coat to avoid heavy dirt accumulation) all automotive rubber parts such as bushings and bellows in order to avoid cracking and deterioration? Will it truly help against ageing or is the product intended for something else?

Lucas

It helps keep rubber from drying out, but also it's so thick and sticky that you can use it if you don't want it to fling out.
Works wonders in airguns, too.

Hej Lucas. Tænk at møde en landsmand her.

Red rubber grease is great for everything With rubber. I use it on brakecaliber pins every time i do brakes.

It can also be used in Electric conectors egnition coil boots and things similar.

It is the best for assembling when rebuilding hydraulic parts like rubber bits in master cylinder and wheel cylinders and caliper rebuilds, or slave cylinders, etc. That's what it was designed for. Castor based, yea? Not known to ruin the usual brake fluid when it mixes in. Of course you don't want to put more on the rubber bits than needed for this reason. Great stuff. Lasts longer when rebuilding components like this than using brake fluid to lube rubber bits. Can sit on the shelf a real long time if need be, or used right away. Put it in your hair if you want.

Last edited:
What about caliper pistons?

Thinking back, I had a dual 4-pot front brake on a sportbike. When I changed the pads, I think I squeezed the lever to make the pistons extrude more so I could clean them. It seems, some were not even working because a dirt groove had built up and I just got a so-so lever feel. Man O Boy, It was trying to bleed after the pistons popped out. Open, squeeze, close, let off.....It seems I was there for hours doing that while wrapped around the bike in a not so comfortable position.

That is what a motive bleeder could have accomplished in mere minutes?

So, back on topic. Maybe you can apply several coats if you are not in a hurry to allow the rubber to absorb the grease. Then, when ready for assembly, wipe with a damp (water or brake fluid) and soft cloth to remove the excess so it will not hold on to dirt and cause poor performance, seal degradation, or other bad situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back