Dumbest thing you have been told at a parts store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
This was at a dealership but I had bought a brand new 2007 Chevy Malibu with the 6 cylinder. The car would cut out usually after startup and even happened a couple times while driving. The "service tech" told me that it was normal because those engines run lean for MPGs. Guess he was right, cars don't waste gas when they are not running on the highway. Needless to say I had him put it in writing and used it to get my full refund towards a new car in their sales department.

At least you got it in writing! How nice of him to do that.

Last edited:
I was at a Chrysler/Jeep service department last week and I heard a service advisor telling a customer that they weren't going to do a tire rotation because the tires on the front were in better shape than the tires on the back and the good tires should stay on the front since they do all the steering.

When I was buying a new car in 1990-1991 I went to a Nissan dealer looking at Maxima. At that time some 4-cyl cars had double overhead cams and 16 valves, A Nissan salesman said that the V6 engine in the Maxima had 16 valves.

I told him that it was almost impossible to have 16 valves with a 6-cyl engine, unless it had 3 valves on 4 cylinders and 2 valves on 2 cylinders for a total of 16 valves. But he didn't accept that his claim of 16 valves for 6-cyl engine was wrong, he kept saying that Maxima had 16 valves engine. All I could do was walk away and bought Honda Accord instead.

Went to Napa for front brake pads for our 97 Civic. Previously, bought them at Advance and Oreilly's, never had a problem. Gave Napa a try, thought they have high quality parts. Jacked the car up, had the wheel off, took off the brake caliper, went to put on the new pads, and they were the wrong size. Had to take them back to Napa with our SUV and we have a twenty minute drive since we live out in the country. In Napa, I set them on the counter and told the gentleman there they were the wrong size. He looks our car up in the computer, checks the box, shrugs, and said, "That's the number I have in the computer."
Was hoping to exchange them for the proper ones. Told him there was no way the ones we bought back they would fit, politely thanked him, asked for a refund, and then went to Oreillys and got the correct sized pads.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I was at AZ buying out their stock of clearance PU 0W-40. As one employee was ringing me up, the other one says "What in the world are you going to do with 0-40?"

But then the guy that was helping me came back with a great line and said "Dude, it's synthetic and it's 2 bucks a quart."

That's funny, at the local AZ here I was asking if it was $2/quart as it's marked $4/quart, she said "Yes, we haven't been able to sell it as no ones cars take 0w-40". I told her I would be mixing it with a 20 weight to make a 30 weight. Pretty sure she thought I was insane.

Originally Posted By: jdavis
I was at AZ buying out their stock of clearance PU 0W-40. As one employee was ringing me up, the other one says "What in the world are you going to do with 0-40?"

But then the guy that was helping me came back with a great line and said "Dude, it's synthetic and it's 2 bucks a quart."

That's funny, at the local AZ here I was asking if it was $2/quart as it's marked $4/quart, she said "Yes, we haven't been able to sell it as no ones cars take 0w-40". I told her I would be mixing it with a 20 weight to make a 30 weight. Pretty sure she thought I was insane.
When I was hitting up AZ for a bunch of PU in all different weights the manager asked me how I knew it was $2 a qt. I told her ahh just some website I accidentally landed on. Haha

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Originally Posted By: jdavis

When I was hitting up AZ for a bunch of PU in all different weights the manager asked me how I knew it was $2 a qt. I told her ahh just some website I accidentally landed on. Haha

lol

Edmunds' Inside Line blog ran a Viper for a long term test; they brought the car in to a Dodge dealer for an oil change. While they were waiting on it one of the service techs asked them how to open the rear hatch. When the tech was asked why the rear hatch needed to be opened to perform an oil change he replied that he was looking for the motor.
Really.

Me: Do you sell anti-sway bars?

Them: What's that?

Me: It's a long bent rod that attaches between the left and right control arms.

Them: We don't have anything like that.

I noticed the parts counter was covered with a Moog or TRW mat with drawings of suspension parts, including an anti-sway bar and pointed to it.

Them: Oh, you mean SWAY bars.

Originally Posted By: njohnson
Jacked the car up, had the wheel off, took off the brake caliper, went to put on the new pads, and they were the wrong size. Had to take them back to Napa

I once needed a high pressure power steering hose for my Dodge. All the discount parts chains had hoses with an ~135 degree bend in one fitting. Only NAPA and Chrysler dealers showed the correct 90 degree bend. I ended up getting new rubber put on the original metal ends.

I actually love initiating oil conversation with parts chains employees to see what kind've cockamamy stuff they'll come up with haha,and I always go along with and agree with what they're saying to keep the conversation going :p

Originally Posted By: hjones
Your car doesn't have a pcv valve

not all cars do...I had a Toyota Paseo that didn't have a valve, it was just a hose from the valve cover to the intake manifold. There was just a simple orifice in the valve cover, no PCV valve at all.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
Originally Posted By: hjones
Your car doesn't have a pcv valve

not all cars do...I had a Toyota Paseo that didn't have a valve, it was just a hose from the valve cover to the intake manifold. There was just a simple orifice in the valve cover, no PCV valve at all.

The Saturd doesn't, either. Just a hole in the valve cover. Oh, excuse me, a "metered orifice" in the valve cover.

Originally Posted By: chainblu
Originally Posted By: tojo1968
Took it to Big 10 tires for an alignment and was told i needed new ball joints. Huh? That's funny? Because in the glove box is a work order and receipt for installation of new ball joints FROM THE SAME BIG 10 SHOP 6 months earlier!

I would have said, "So, it's going to be FREE this time, right??"
Just to see their reaction. lol

Yeah they played it off as "The mechanic was wrong, ball joint is fine. It just needed to be tightened." Which, of course, was an even more retarded response than before! Guess they didn't think I knew how a ball joint works.

Sorry to bring up a old thread. However, today I stopped in the local Oreillys.
they asked if they could help me find anything. I said sure, I'm looking for a 24F battery.
They had a 24-REXT. I asked about what the "F" meant. He went on a diatribe that it stood for Ford back in the day.
crackmeup2.gif

Correct me if I am wrong.
Now the battery does work if you turn it around with the label backwards.

Your car model doesn't exist - Clueless 20 some year old Ford tech at a dealership when i was trying to get fuel line clips, sad that not even Ford techs know about the history of the company

Went to take the jeep for a front end alignment. The tech that worked on my jeep walked in from the shop.

Me: "Front end aligned?"
Tech: "Yepp and the rear"

WJs have solid axle rears with fixed length control arms so there's nothing to adjust......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back