Best oil and filter for 04 civic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted here last week with the intentions of getting a ranger but that deal fell through. Nowe I'm going to be buying a 04 civic ex vtec. It has the 1.7l in it. I believe it calls for 5w20 oil. I would like to use synthetic just for piece of mind. What would you guys recommend for oil and filter?

Just all around good. I don't typically short trip. Usually drive at least 5 miles at 55 or faster anywhere I'm going. I will most likely run it hard every now and again. So just something that will hold up and keep the motor going strong.

I used to have two 2001 honda civics. Same engine as yours. Both called for 5w20 as well, but at the time the best combo for me was Mobil 1 5w30 High Mileage with the Mobil 1 filter or the same filter, but with Mobil 1 0w40. Engines seemed to run the smoothest on those oil&filter combos. If I had those civics now - I'd slap a Fram Ultra on there with a fill of Rotella 0w40 and keep it on there for around 10k miles. OCD would not let me go more...

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
I posted here last week with the intentions of getting a ranger but that deal fell through. Nowe I'm going to be buying a 04 civic ex vtec. It has the 1.7l in it. I believe it calls for 5w20 oil. I would like to use synthetic just for piece of mind. What would you guys recommend for oil and filter?

Own a 97 civic. Using Napa gold filter with PP 5w-30. previous fill was mobil 1 5w-30. Engine is spotless inside.

You could use any oil you want on those engines. I use synthetic for the cold weather starts.

I use an oil filter for two OCI. Once my current oil filter stash is gone, I'm switching to Fram Ultra's.

I was thinking fram ultra filter and either pup 5w20 or castrol edge titanium. What about a 0w20? I do live in ny and granted it's getting to be spring so the cold is going away but am I safe to use a 0w? They are usually a better quality oil too aren't they?

I am going to be the odd one here and ask how long he wants to run his oil. 5k miles go with any oil on the shelf. 7500 miles, My vote would be Magnatec, Supertech Synthetic or QS Synthetic. 10k miles, use any name brand Synthetic including but not limited to QS Synthetic, Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline, and Mobil 1. As for a filter, if you can buy one of these oils at a good price with a filter combo, do it. If not, good filters seem to include but are not limited to, Mobil 1, Fram tough guard and ultra, Carquest (whichever is rated for 10k), Wix/Napa Gold, All Hastings filters I have seen, and anything else that isn't a Purolator (still distrust due to tearing) or a Wix XP. (I don't like the super low efficiency of the Wix XP)

Literally any brand-name oil and filter will work. If you want to extend your OCI's out, then I'd recommend literally any name-brand synthetic and a Fram Ultra filter. That should get you to 20k miles/year.

Do you have the service records to see what oils have been used in the past? If it's mainly seen quickie lube bulk oil, don't be surprised if syn does an extra good job cleaning and slips past worn areas, causing leaks.

For 5k OCI's, the cheapest dino on sale and for the filter, either CQ Red, or the cheapest Wix-made filter on sale (Walmart Super Tech, Napa Silver/Proselect, O'R Microgard, Pro-Tec, etc).

For 10k OCI's, use any synthetic oil, along with a top-tier filter (Wix/Napa Gold, Wix XP/Napa Platinum, Fram Ultra, CQ Blue, M1, Purolator Boss or P1, etc)

0w20 and 5w20 are both ok to use. The 0w20 is supposed to be better with cold starts and slightly better mpg.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
For 5k OCI's, the cheapest dino on sale and for the filter, either CQ Red, or the cheapest Wix-made filter on sale (Walmart Super Tech, Napa Silver/Proselect, O'R Microgard, Pro-Tec, etc).

For 10k OCI's, use any synthetic oil, along with a top-tier filter (Wix/Napa Gold, Wix XP/Napa Platinum, Fram Ultra, CQ Blue, M1, Purolator Boss or P1, etc)

0w20 and 5w20 are both ok to use. The 0w20 is supposed to be better with cold starts and slightly better mpg.

You only need a fram tough guard for 10K intervals. Ultra would be for 20K.

Well... There is truth to your idea that the Ultra can go 20k in a well maintained motor. Even another member took tough guards to 20k miles routinely. According to motorking a well maintained and clean motor has about 1 gram if containments for every 1000 miles. So, if a filter has 32 gram capacity then what you are saying is spot on. Key part of going super long intervals is that the motor has been well maintained up until that point.

Napa Synthetic or Synpower with a Napa Gold/Wix filter. Napa Silver or a Microgard are good filters too if doing a 5K OCI. Napa Synthetic 0W20 runs slicker than snot on a doorknob in my Civic.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
You only need a fram tough guard for 10K intervals. Ultra would be for 20K.

The TG is cardboard. I'd rather run a CQ Red to 10k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back