Law school grad sues school for lack of job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Law school grad sues school for lack of job after graduation. Job market is very tuff even for lawyers with experience. Too many lawyers in every state.... not enough jobs. My nephew wants to go to law school after getting his political science degree, I told him about the lawyer job prospects. If you borrow a ton of money for school, you have to pay it back.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/anna-alaburda-law-school-sues-thomas-jefferson/

I would be interested in knowing what her GPA was. Also how many times did she fail the BAR? Plus what skeletons are in her closet, personal views aside a positive drug test could severely limit employment potential.

I would think that going back decades not every lawyer leaving law school was able to find a job in "law." There's a job out there for this person. It just may not be exactly what they want right now.

Thomas Jefferson School of Law

This isn't a well rated Law School, ranking near the bottom of most accredited ones in the US. They state that 29% of their 2013 grads found employment within 9 months of graduation.

In 2013, the National Law Journal reported the college has the worst unemployment rate after graduation (31.5%) amongst all law schools in the country.[31]

Employment Outcomes: According to the law professor blog, The Faculty Lounge, based on 2012 ABA data, only 28.8% of graduates obtained full-time, long term positions requiring bar admission (i.e., jobs as lawyers), 9 months after graduation, ranking 192nd out of 197 law schools.[32]...

The plaintiff could well win this case. Still, one should only go to a Law School with "eyes wide open." Regardless of what TJSoL stated about prospects, I'd have read professional journals and comments from the profession itself. The plaintiff certainly didn't think they were going to Harvard or Duke Law? The tuition is still pretty stiff at this place...I guess that's what accreditation costs.

The Boomer generation passing on means downsizing in many areas of the economy. Law is no doubt one of one those area. There will always be room for engineers.

Chickadee needs to put her big girl panties on and flip burgers,wait tables,or bag groceries. Bath and Body Works at her local mall is probably hiring too.

Engineers are also having a tough time finding employment (probably not as bad as law grads). The STEM propaganda doesn't want to admit this fact.

My wife is a Lawyer and she gets calls and letters all the time from Lawyers that are looking for jobs. Its very tough today in most fields everyone is in school spending thousands to come out and be unemployed and have a bad credit rating to boot from not paying their student loans.Next time you are in the mall ask some of the minimum wage workers how many years of college they have.. It's bad!

Her strategy on getting a job in this public manner will absolutely backfire on her.

Yet a quick search of open positions in the legal field and I can find thousands of them. Our own county has a position for an associate county attorney that has been open for a couple months now. Your premise of a tuff (sic) job market just doesn't hold up.

Of course, Thomas Jefferson ranks as one of the worst law schools in the nation, but is still more expensive than much higher quality schools like Duke or Drake. I strongly suspect that there is an additional side to the story that isn't being told.

Some loved ones of mine are lawyers and went through this or saw it firsthand.

Things started with the crash of '08. Lots of people went back to school, including law school. That frequently happens in an economic downturn. The thinking is, you should go to school when the job market is weak, because things should be picking back up by the time you graduate.

Problem #1: The flood of law school applicants made admissions more competitive, so a lot of people got into worse schools than they could have.

Problem #2: In law, your career prospects depend heavily on what you do during your summers. Most law firms and courts cut their internships massively -- and sometimes entirely. So, you had too many applicants applying for WAY too few jobs. And if you can't get a good internship, you'll be WAY behind in the job search.

Problem #3: Many law-related fields lag the economy. So, even though the economy did start to recover in 3-4 years, that was when law jobs were hitting their low point.

In sum: A massive wave of law graduates -- most of them from worse law schools than they could have gone to, and with worse internship experience than they could have had -- hit the market at a time when almost no one was hiring. People who went to the top law schools got decent jobs. Everyone else got scraps. And many of those who did get jobs were treated poorly by their employers because, hey, there were plenty more applicants where they came from.

It was a meat grinder. I have HUGE respect for anyone who did even an okay job under those circumstances. And while I can't condone suing a school over lack of job prospects, I can certainly understand the frustration.

There are jobs listed but the industry is pretty much full most Law firms are looking for a very few key people and they want the best of the best and not pay what they used to.Someone very close to me has an impressive background and is politically connected so she did very well and now is a controlling partner in a well respected firm. Today it is different from 15 years ago. I know the racket its pretty cut throat sort of speak.

Originally Posted By: 65f100
Engineers are also having a tough time finding employment (probably not as bad as law grads). The STEM propaganda doesn't want to admit this fact.

What STEM propaganda promises anyone anything?

STEM education is an opportunity to enter a field like any other field of endeavor.

Last edited:
I wonder if she will be representing herself. If she wins, she could put that on her resume and maybe she'll be able to land a job after this.
grin.gif

That remmembers me my ex wife. She asked a lot of legal questions, just to use against me later ... gez!

Now, some people around here are going to graduation, not to get better jobs, but to get better jail cells, since here a graduate should have the privilege of a better space and roomates (on paper) eh, nothing like yours... hahaha, tragically funny.

Last edited:
$170K in debt and no job. Clearly she's bad at making intelligent choices, no wonder she can't get hired. My wife sees this regular. Person A gets MSN and has a job before finishing school. Person B has been on seven interviews, no job. Not everyone that gets a fancy degree is capable. I think with a lot of these fields where you intern/preceptorship during your education, if you don't have a job offer before graduation it's time to panic. I know in the healthcare field all the talent is snatched up early.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Law school grad sues school for lack of job after graduation. Job market is very tuff even for lawyers with experience. Too many lawyers in every state.... not enough jobs. My nephew wants to go to law school after getting his political science degree, I told him about the lawyer job prospects. If you borrow a ton of money for school, you have to pay it back.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/anna-alaburda-law-school-sues-thomas-jefferson/

There are many many good reasons not to be a lawyer, but not getting a job isn't specifically the only answer as your prospects are a lot worse in many many other fields.
If you suck at lawyering and that's why you can't get a job, you probably also suck in alternative career chosen from a most promising and well-payed jobs list and will have trouble there too.
This article laid it out better for a millenial to read and you should forward it to your nephew (assuming they don't just autodelete your granny spam):
http://thehustle.co/why-you-shouldnt-go-to-law-school-by-tucker-max

The can't get a job is No. 6; and so nothing new there. But not getting a job is a systemic problem you could have regardless the industry.

Last edited:
And law is one of those areas where there is some outsourcing to overseas locations where people pass the bar in a state or more of the US and do work on-line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back