Coolant hose replacement schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are folks thoughts on replacing modern OE coolant hoses?

My Wife's '99 996 w/ 50K miles still has its original hoses. I was under the car getting it ready for Spring (wishful thinking) and gave the hoses that I could reach a close look and good squeeze. They all seem fine, in fact some of the shielded ones still had that waxy coating on them. I do regular coolant changes, carefully wipe off any oil that gets on them during changes, etc.

There isn't much definitive guidance out there, and the indy mechanic who we use (for things beyond me) thinks they will easily last 20 years if maintained. Maybe it is my British and old American car habit but 17 years has me a bit concerned...

What say the forum?

Yu could change them all for piece of mind.. Typically, when one hose goes all the others are close behind and by replacing the split hose you expose a new weakest point in the system, which will be the next one to go.

But if they're not bulging or weeping theyre probably fine. Maybe keep a few spare hoses and a jug of coolant in the boot, just in case.

Depends on the hose...

I've got original hoses on the 4 Runner in some spots. They're still pliable, but not mushy. They're firm and they don't leak.

I replaced a few really inaccessible ones on the oil cooler while I was replacing the o-ring on that, but they were in good shape despite being under the exhaust manifold and near all that heat for 25+ years.

I think they're fine on your 996...Porsche didn't use cheap stuff on their cars...

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
Modern hoses last a long time. I have had more of an issue with factory hose clamps corroding than hoses failing.

+1 I don't think they really require a schedule but keep an eye on them and if they are starting to look bad replace them. I haven't changed the ones on my Malibu ever. Still look good.

'02 Accord with 230k miles has original rubber & still seem fine. I have replacement hoses in the house but won't replace until they're in bad shape.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
I change hoses with every radiator failure.

My 1986 Monte Carlo SS had the factory hoses on it until 2011 when I had to replace the radiator.

When I did my radiator on my 99 Jeep I replaced them all as a few were a little mushy. I feel a lot better on trips to the desert.

what kills them is oil contamination and too much heat. keep on top of any oil leaks and the such.

Last edited:
I would say most OEM hoses are good for at least 20 years if not soaked in oil.

Had the first original hose failure in my 91 NSX with 110kmi at 23 years of age, in the middle of a track day. I replaced all the other hoses while I was at it, most still seemed to be in great shape.

My just sold Lexus LS400 had OEM hoses and radiator replaced around summer 2014 at 36x,xxx miles. But its heater hoses were replaced early 2000.

My 2000 MB E430 has all OEM hoses as of now at 180k miles.

If the cooling system is in good shape and the hoses feel fine, I would run them.

I replaced the original hoses on my 1994 Ranger last Summer. The cooling system had been neglected and the insides of the hoses got crunchy, but still didn't seem at risk of a blow out. If the hoses are crunchy or squishy, replace, if not, run them.

On my old Taurus I changed out the lower hose after about 7 years and 100k miles. Outside it looked perfect but inside is was full of short cracks.

Of the 2 hoses, upper hose is usually needed to change earlier than lower. The reason is upper is hotter because the hot coolant from engine flowed through upper hose to radiator, the lower hose had cooler fluid flowed through it.

Originally Posted By: wings&wheels
What are folks thoughts on replacing modern OE coolant hoses?

My coolant-system hoses on my 1985 Corolla never needed replacing. I did replace them unnecessarily a while back though. So, the answer is probably about 100 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back