Nut drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Space in my tool chest is becoming a premium and I’m reassessing the need to have dedicated nut drivers in there. This tool chest is in my garage and is primarily for automotive and other exterior uses (lawn equipment, outdoor projects, etc.). It seems that I could replace the nut drivers with “spinner” handles and use the appropriate socket. Don’t seem to use the nut drivers very often except for maybe an occasional hose clamp. Any downside to this strategy? What is the collective wisdom of the group?

I have one of these:
TM4CSA.jpg

Mine's not a Snap-on, but same idea. 1/4" square drive on the end. I can take any 1/4" drive socket and stick it on the end. Can use regular or deep sockets. Mine also has a 1/4" drive female on the top, so you can put a ratchet on it if you need more leverage. I don't see the need for individual nut drivers with this tool.

That's what I use if needed, you can use deep and normal sockets, extensions, swivels making it much more versatile.
Nut drivers do nothing more than take up space, they are one of the most inflexible tools on the market for automotive work, nothing more than cheap set fillers IMO.
They are probably more useful for electricians and other jobs that only require a few sizes and don't need deep or extensions.

A 10mm and 8mm-5/16" nut drivers are a must for me. Makes it easy on my cars which have those tow sized flanged bolt heads in use. Sockets come off and get lost along with the bolt.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I have one of these:
TM4CSA.jpg

Mine's not a Snap-on, but same idea. 1/4" square drive on the end. I can take any 1/4" drive socket and stick it on the end. Can use regular or deep sockets. Mine also has a 1/4" drive female on the top, so you can put a ratchet on it if you need more leverage. I don't see the need for individual nut drivers with this tool.

Any need for a 3/8" drive too?

The real advantage of a true nut driver is the hollow shaft, which is necessary if you are tightening down a nut over a long terminal stud, which is very common in electrical work.

Originally Posted By: pcoxe
The real advantage of a true nut driver is the hollow shaft, which is necessary if you are tightening down a nut over a long terminal stud, which is very common in electrical work.

Which, again, is fulfilled by a 1/4" drive driver handle by putting a deep socket on it.
wink.gif

For electrical and other light-torque work, I also keep a power screwdriver-to-1/4" adaptor to put sockets on my power screwdriver. Makes life a lot easier when trying to work, with only 2 hands and your teeth when 4 hands are really necessary.

Originally Posted By: Trav
That's what I use if needed, you can use deep and normal sockets, extensions, swivels making it much more versatile.
Nut drivers do nothing more than take up space, they are one of the most inflexible tools on the market for automotive work, nothing more than cheap set fillers IMO.
They are probably more useful for electricians and other jobs that only require a few sizes and don't need deep or extensions.

Any particular brand or handle style preferable?

As mentioned above, the hollow shafts work great in electrical work.

I am partial to Snap on. The handles are comfortable and the shafts are insulated.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
There's a reason I keep buying 10 and 8mm sockets. They fall off or get pulled off.

You need a different drive handle. Some you have to really give a good pull to remove the socket, i haven't dropped one that I can remember.

I have both nut drivers and spin handles. I use the spin handles for sizes not available in nut drivers. If I need a 1/4 inch nut driver, I find it more convenient to grab the 1/4 inch nut driver than to grab a separate socket and spin handle. You guys that use straight slot screwdrivers for worm hose clamps kill me.

I don't like using a spinner and socket in tight places where the socket might fall off and get lost in a car crevice. So, I still keep a full set. BUT, I could get by with a 1/4 and 5/16" and a couple of metric sizes. If I were going to cut back, then I'd still keep those few.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Gee, and I thought this was going to be about crazed motorists.

I thought it was the punchline to the "pirate walks into a bar with a ship's wheel".

I think I used my Craftsman nut driver set a lot more when I was younger and hose clamps were all spiral ones and hoses were replaced every few years.

With regret (because it was one of my early tool purchases), I donated my set a few years ago and keep a Gearwrench 8916 set around. I get SAE+metric, and I can use the ratcheting handle for something else. I don't like using wobbly sockets when a little wobble really matters. Seems having one or two handles and a dozen or so shafts is more space-efficient, esp. in their own hard rectangular case. I still don't use them much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back