Fixed the 'clunking' on my Elantra..

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

When my daughter came home from college for Christmas I noticed her (my) 2008 Elantra was making a 'clunking' noise. I also noticed the front tires were wearing (heavily) on the inside (despite an alignment last July). I went online and found that others have had the same issues and there was no clear cut issue...it could be stabilizer end links, lateral links, motor mounts, etc.... Well last night I had use of a friends lift and changed all 4 (front and rear) stabilizer links and my problem is solved (I plan to change all 4 struts next weekend and get an alignment as 70K in NY takes a toll on any vehicle).

The link on the DS front was most likely the culprit as it had no resistance at all....I remember last May I was driving home in the dark from NYC and just north of the TZ bridge, on the NYS Thruway, I hit a pothole (on the DS) that nearly knocked the fillings out of my teeth.

At any rate...if you own a 'clunky' Hyundai (as many seem to do) , try changing the sway bar (stabilizer) links first....

PS: It doesn't surprise me that so many people are fed up with 'establishment' politicians....NY State has some of the highest TAXES in the country and yet some of the WORST roads too....shame on Gov. Cuomo and the rest of them who have allowed us to fall so far...

Nice work! I'd be surprised if the stabilizer links were the cause of uneven wear though. While you're changing out the struts, it might be worth checking out and possibly replacing some of the other components like tie rod ends and maybe some control arm bushings.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
That's not the cause of your alignment / tire wear issues.

I know ... I've read that Elantras are prone to alignment issues and need alignments at least yearly (which I'm not too happy about). I think the NY potholes (and the big hit I mentioned in my OP) are the cause. At any rate I won't be putting 90K mile tires on it next time....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back