Aftermarket CV axle woes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've posted here before how I had my driver's side CV axle replaced on my Sedona last September. Immediately after replacement, there was a bad vibration under acceleration. I immediately took the vehicle back, and they put in another axle, stating that the first one they put in had some play on the outer joint. Great, all set I thought. But the vibration, although lessened with the second axle, is still very much there. The part has a 3 year warranty, thankfully. I'm taking the van back tomorrow. Should I have them replace the axle with the same of another brand, or possibly pay the difference for an OEM one? (If that's even an option). I'll gladly have them fix it for free, I just don't want to keep getting [censored] parts. My van is my livelihood and I can't afford to keep being without it.

They actually get their import parts from a reputable import parts store locally, so I know they're not trying to screw me. It just seems that aftermarket CV axles are just garbage.

I'm not sure on the brand, but I could ask. IIRC there is only one brand that this store stocks for my vehicle. I know now that I should've gotten an OEM or Raxles axle... Lesson learned I guess. Im sort of glad I had a shop do it, with a warranty. Otherwise I'd be the one swapping these puppies out
crazy2.gif

If you haven't already, I'd rotate the tires just to see if there is any difference in the vibration.

Originally Posted By: Cressida
If you haven't already, I'd rotate the tires just to see if there is any difference in the vibration.

Done that. They also rebalanced the wheels. The issue directly correlated to when the axle was first changed; nothing else was replaced. The vibration only happens under load, regardless of speed. So it's not a wheel issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Klutch9
My van is my livelihood and I can't afford to keep being without it.

In this case OE is the only way to go and be done with it.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Klutch9
My van is my livelihood and I can't afford to keep being without it.

In this case OE is the only way to go and be done with it.

+1

Just say no to aftermarket CV axles. They may work okay in some applications but they tend to be very problematic. I would pay the difference for OE.

Be be prepared to pay - msrp on the left side axle shaft is about $600.

http://www.kiapartsnow.com/genuine/kia-joint-assy-cv-l~495014d700.html?Make=Kia&Model=Sedona&Year=2008&Submodel=&Filter=()&Location=drive-shaft,,49500A

Last edited:
I've fixed a number of bad outer CV joints by replacing the entire axle assembly with a rebuilt unit over the years with never an issue.
You may have transaxle problems. You might also have a carrier bearing problem if there is one on the side where you've had problems with the replacement assemblies.
I find it a little hard to believe that you got two bad rebuilds in a row, although I suppose it's possible.
Might be time to find a shop that can and will drill a little deeper.
OTOH, if the shop will do the warranty replacement with no charge, you have nothing to lose by letting them do it.
You might want to mark the existing axle just to make sure it actually gets changed and that the shop doesn't do a wall job with your vehicle.
No shop likes giving away free labor to do warranty parts replacements.

I'll be taking the van in tomorrow to have them diagnose it further. The supervisor said they'd try another brand, if possible. FWIW, I called my local Napa, and their remanned units (Cardone) use OEM style hollow tubing for the shaft, at least most do. He recommended those, even though their new units are $30 more expensive for my vehicle. If this problem goes unresolved by the shop, I may just eat it and try a different brand myself. One step at a time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back