Clutch Shudder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yup

2002 Civic Si. After rain/really cold temps it's always given a little shudder when taking off in 1st gear. Seems to be getting worse recently. It's like the clutch is slipping. Any quick fix ideas? Like pouring some MMO some place (ok this was sarcastic). But anyway, it goes away after a few take offs. Big money or something easy?

Try holding your foot on the brake and letting the clutch up in first gear to intentionally stall the car. There could be a slight glaze on the clutch/flywheel and that might break the glaze. I was told this by an old time mechanic and it has worked in the past for me.

My '04 civic does this too. I can avoid it with a slow gentle start, or an aggressive start but in normal driving it's hard to avoid. It drives me nuts.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
My '04 civic does this too. I can avoid it with a slow gentle start, or an aggressive start but in normal driving it's hard to avoid. It drives me nuts.

Exactly. If I'm "nice" and get it perfect...no shudder. Or if I go drag style and giver her gas and rip off a 1st gear start. I almost feel like it does it when the engine is at cold idle and I don't goose it enough.

So the method is to just let the clutch out with foot on brake one time and it gets rid of the glaze for a while? Or each time I drive the car?

My Corolla has done this from day 1. Yup, it's surface rust from high moisture or glazing from heavy stop and go driving. It's not slipping, it's grabbing too quicly and not slipping just enough to get smooth engagement. Look at brake rotors after a heavy rain. You'll see surface rust. Same thing happens to the flywheel and pressure plate.

I just try and live with it. Drive gently the first few miles until the rust/glazing wears off. Or try like demarpaint says and grind all that stuff off.

I will say that things got better after replacing all the clutch hydraulics on my car which indicates to me there was some slight bleed down in the hydraulics so they weren't able to modulate (for lack of a better term) clutch engagement. It would just grab hard.

Last edited:
Your clutch might be on borrowed time. I don't recommend a heavy duty after market pressure plate which will only make your pedal stiffer. Exedy makes the best clutches and does so for OEM and after market. Putting a new clutch in isn't that hard if you have the tools and aren't afraid to tackle the job. Old Civics are pretty easy actually. Youtube is your friend. Buy this:
http://www.amazon.com/Engine-Support-Tra...s=engine+holder

http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W...rds=breaker+bar

and the socket for the spindle nut which might be 32mm

Last edited:
Also check your motor mounts. If they're soft they can create a feedback loop.

Originally Posted By: Yup

So the method is to just let the clutch out with foot on brake one time and it gets rid of the glaze for a while? Or each time I drive the car?

Once maybe twice fixed mine. Then if it starts acting up I'd do it again. I haven't done it in over a year. Now if you clutch is shot this isn't going to help. I found over the years some clutches can be very temperamental.

2002 Civic Si. After rain/really cold temps it's always given a little shudder when taking off in 1st gear. Seems to be getting worse recently. It's like the clutch is slipping. Any quick fix ideas? Like pouring some MMO some place (ok this was sarcastic). But anyway, it goes away after a few take offs. Big money or something easy?

That's normal on a Honda of any age especially in the morning with humidity like Drew had mentioned.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

That's normal on a Honda of any age especially in the morning with humidity like Drew had mentioned.

Nice to know!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Once maybe twice fixed mine. Then if it starts acting up I'd do it again. I haven't done it in over a year. Now if you clutch is shot this isn't going to help. I found over the years some clutches can be very temperamental.

I did this on a Chevy II that was shuddering. I ran it (gently) up against a very solid concrete pillar and released the clutch very slowly a couple of times. Felt like I was going against everything I'd ever been taught about not riding the clutch! But it was fine afterwards.

Had to do it again a year or more later.

One difference is the bumper of a Chevy II could take a lot of force. I'm less confident about modern cars.

This is my experience with the Kitacam....shudders occasionally but when it does its always at the 1st 'take-off'...

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
My Corolla has done this from day 1. Yup, it's surface rust from high moisture or glazing from heavy stop and go driving. It's not slipping, it's grabbing too quicly and not slipping just enough to get smooth engagement. Look at brake rotors after a heavy rain. You'll see surface rust. Same thing happens to the flywheel and pressure plate.

I just try and live with it. Drive gently the first few miles until the rust/glazing wears off. Or try like demarpaint says and grind all that stuff off.

I will say that things got better after replacing all the clutch hydraulics on my car which indicates to me there was some slight bleed down in the hydraulics so they weren't able to modulate (for lack of a better term) clutch engagement. It would just grab hard.

Last edited:

Any updates?

Any updates?

Yes. I got home late last night after putting my foot on brake and letting clutch out before driving to work yesterday morning. Still had some shudder at first. Did it again and let it ride slower and longer with brake pressed, almost killed engine, then drove home. No issues. This morning after rain, very small, yet almost not noticeable, issue. Seems to have done the trick!

Any updates?

Yes. I got home late last night after putting my foot on brake and letting clutch out before driving to work yesterday morning. Still had some shudder at first. Did it again and let it ride slower and longer with brake pressed, almost killed engine, then drove home. No issues. This morning after rain, very small, yet almost not noticeable, issue. Seems to have done the trick!

I'm glad it helped! I apply the brake let the clutch up just like I was taking off at a light, w/o giving it any gas and let it stall.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Agree, My '04 Civic has done this since day one and currently 183K miles on original clutch. Once it dries out it's fine.

Had the same exact thing going on here with my focus. Moisture combined with my light driving style. I was told to drive like a 16 year old who just got his first manual transmission car.

Did and and the clutch shudder went away.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I suppose you are burning off uneven surface by doing that?

From what I understand it's like pad material getting built up on a rotor.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: Vikas
I suppose you are burning off uneven surface by doing that?

From what I understand it's like pad material getting built up on a rotor.

Clutch plate friction material has a lot in common with brake pad material...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back