Can't lower spare tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot get the secondary lock mechanism to disengage so I can lower the spare tire on an 06 Escalade. It's not lowering far enough that I can put something up in there to pop it loose. I've tried jacking it up so it would disengage followed all the manual instructions. I think its rusted in the locked position. Is there anything I can do to get that spare tire down other than cut the cable?

I'm assuming the mechanism is the same for a Caddy as for a Chevy or GMC. Unfortunately a common issue on GM trucks & SUV's.

Here's one youtube video among dozens that discusses it.

GM Spare secondary latch

If this one doesn't do it for you do a search on youtube. Many different experiences with this problem.

Once you get it down give the cable and lift mechanism a good coat with a lubricant.

Crawl underneath with some PB Blaster or what ever you have and a hammer to shift stuff a bit. Hope you aren't by the roadside. My Datsun Pickup, probably, 2.5K 1972 dollars used a chain instead of a cable it worked when required. The screw jack'k handle did double duty. If it comes free, pump it full of chassis lube. grease the cable too.

Lube it as andyd suggested. Then if you can safely get under the vehicle, pull down [a little] on the tire while someone cranks the mechanism. Once you get it down clean it all up and properly lube it.

I lowered the tire as far as it would go which isn't much and blasted the whole mechanism with fluid film. Will let that marinate for a while and try it at some future date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back