M1 5w30, 10,837km, 2013 F150 EB, 71,490km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

attached is the lasted UOA from my 2013 F150 ecoboost. Since new, I used PP exclusively, this is the first UOA with M1. I blame the cold weather for the slightly increased iron level and fuel dilution (same thing happened last winter). I refilled with M1 and a motorcraft filter. I am planning to keep my OCI's around 10,000km for now. Let me know your thoughts & comments. Thanks.

13%20F150-021316_zpsabdjibns.jpg

A good example of why Ford jumped to 5w30 for these. Looks good to me, I don't like all that fuel and shear but it's the nature of the beast.

Yeah, these ecoboosts seem to be hard on oil. I think I may try Castrol Syntec next just to see how it compares, out of curiosity.

There is an Ecoboost UOA on here using Castrol Magnatec 5w30 that looked great. It held up really well and didn't seem to shear either. But I don't know if that's a one time fluke or not.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3940338/13_f150_Ecoboost,_Magnetec_5/3#Post3940338

I have a 2015 EcoBoost F150. After 2 UOA's of my Viscosity being in the 7.90's to 8.20's, I decided to switch over to Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40. It's on the thin side for a 40w oil so it should become a 30w rather quickly & stay there vs these CAFE oils that barely start out being whatever weight they're supposed to be. It's all about that MPG with these North American oils. The new Mobil 0w-40 FS looks to be a promising oil as well if you wanted to stick with Mobil. It's on the very thin side for a 40w oil, really a very thick 30w.

Thanks Fasttimez. I'm tempted to try a 0w-40 or 5w-40. I'm not loyal to any brand. I tend to stock up once every year or two when there is a good sale.

Does anyone know if Castrol Magnetec is available in Canada? Can't say that I've ever seen it on the shelves here, but I've never been specifically looking for it either.

Originally Posted By: gap599
Thanks Fasttimez. I'm tempted to try a 0w-40 or 5w-40. I'm not loyal to any brand. I tend to stock up once every year or two when there is a good sale.

I see you're in Canada, I'd go with a 0w40 for sure. Like I was saying the new Mobil 0w40 has Viscosity starting at 12.8-12.9, so very thin for a 40w, as the 40w's start at 12.5 Vis. It's probably the easiest thing to find also, my local Walmart stocks it. I went with the 5w40 Pennzoil Euro because it rarely gets below 20*F where I live, but regularly tops 100*F in summer, plus I like all the OEM certifications it carries. It's a tad thicker than the Mobil with a starting Viscosity of around 13.3, but still on the thin side.

If you are going to a thicker grade, I'd try avoid the Full-SAPS offerings, like Mobil 1 0W40, as the Sulfated Ash is causing LSPI (Pinging) in Turbo-DI engines.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2711408
Try to find a Mid SAPS offering, as they have a pretty similar ash content to other oils, like standard Mobil 1 5W30.
According to post on that thread, Mobil 1 ESP X1 0W30 is one such oil. It starts with a viscosity of 12.0, with a HTHS of 3.5, according to the PDS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gap599
Does anyone know if Castrol Magnetec is available in Canada? Can't say that I've ever seen it on the shelves here, but I've never been specifically looking for it either.

Yes, but it may be problematic for a while. I have seen it, I believe, at Auto Parts Plus on Albert Street North in Regina, but those would have been individual litres. NAPA Canada has 60 litre kegs of the product. So, you either spend a lot per litre for a small amount, or less per litre for a huge amount.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
There is an Ecoboost UOA on here using Castrol Magnatec 5w30 that looked great. It held up really well and didn't seem to shear either. But I don't know if that's a one time fluke or not.

Fuel was only 1.0%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back