Top 10 Vehicles that make it to 200,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: horse123
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
The list is [censored]. It correlates with the raw numbers sold. In other words, it will be full of Fords, Chevys and Toyotas just due to volume.

This x1000

So where is a Camry....Accords...and Corollas? Do you think Toyota sells more Avalons than Camrys and Corollas?

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Good to see the Taurus up there. On the list of cars, it's the percentage of cars over 200k so it's not based on the number of cars sold

Yeah especially since the picture they use is the newer Taurus which has not been a great seller. I will say that after some teething issues, my 2010 has been drop dead reliable. But those teething issues were to be expected with a new model.

Originally Posted By: mcrn

So where is a Camry....Accords...and Corollas? Do you think Toyota sells more Avalons than Camrys and Corollas?

I think people who buy cars for the highway buy avalons. It's not an inferiority on the smaller cars' part, but a purchasing decision... nature vs nurture.

I have both a camry and corolla, and a 60 mile one way commute. I drive both as one has snow tires while the other doesn't, depending on weather.

But there's more to the Camry (Captain Obvious) and the MPG penalty is pretty minor.

Once the engine or tranny gets rebuilt, the mileage should end. Any vehicle can go forever if keep replacing the parts.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Most of the older beaters you see plying the roads every day are pushing 200K.
They're of all makes and models.
The problem with this list is the data shortage.
The average lower income guy might well be driving a 200K econobox, but the available data would never catch it.
200K runners are more common than most folks might think, and most of them aren't light trucks, either.
The fact that there are many 200K+ Ford and Chevy light trucks is simply a product of these being their largest volume vehicles.
There are probably proportionately as many 200K Hyundai Accents or Ford Fusions.

Depends on the state. Many with inspection stations track the mileage when giving out the sticker. And it also gets reported when the car is sold. Plus lots of shops report repairs to carfax. So I guess cars that don't make it to a garage in a state that doesn't do any inspections would probably be missed. Also if you read the article, it mentions the percentage of cars that hit 200k so it's not based on the number of cars built.

I always thought the "big 3" did a pretty good job building the full size pick up truck, but the car's were pretty much junk. It surprised me to see the Taurus especially, and the Impala on the car's list. Might be time to re-think what I thought.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Figured this fit the theme of the thread:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Lincoln/Town+...p;orup=12_15_13

Quote:

Make Lincoln
Model Town Car
Kilometres 724,685 km
Body Type Sedan
Style/Trim Executive L Series
Engine -
Cylinders -
Stock Number -
Drivetrain -
Transmission Automatic
Exterior Colour Black
Interior Colour -
Passengers -
Doors 4 doors
Fuel Type -
City Fuel Economy -
Hwy Fuel Economy -
Vehicle History Report
Request CarProof
Safety Rating N/A
Review This Vehicle
1 2 3 4 5
Car is in great running condition. Mainly used as corporate limo, all Hwy kms, exterior and interior in good condition. Call or text at xxx xxx xxxx

5fc31444-8f65-4abe-a5c8-bf89ba3a1103.jpg

That's 450,000 miles. Was hoping I could find one like I did a couple of years ago that had 1.2 million on it, LOL!
grin.gif

That's routine in livery service. I drove a Town Car with 580,000 miles...it was retired a couple years later with 640,000.

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
Odd...no Chrysler...

Yup.. I have a 2.5L Turbo Dodge at 209k miles, a 2.5L Plymouth at 250K+ miles, a 3.3L Dodge at 240K+ miles. These 80's and 90's mopars are so reliable that no one notices.

The other night I had a wonderful car dream. I bopped down through graveyard , crossed Grove St and rolled open the service doors. The Marshfield Center Garage was my play pen. Last night , the was a gleaming pearl white Firedome. Sonny was a Mopar guy from birth. Fred had 20 feet of 2 inch hawser wrapped around the front bumper of a '46 Dodge. He used the Dodge to to push dead cars into the service bay. Fred had a fatal heart attack driving his '55 Chrysler to lunch. Sonny's car were a matched set of '56 Chryslers. and a . 300 C and G. I would have been 10 yrs old.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Once the engine or tranny gets rebuilt, the mileage should end. Any vehicle can go forever if keep replacing the parts.

Agree 100%! SO tired of reading about 'reliable' vehicles that go something like 600k, but the engine was rebuilt twice, and the tranny was replaced....

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Odd...no Chrysler...

Yup.. I have a 2.5L Turbo Dodge at 209k miles, a 2.5L Plymouth at 250K+ miles, a 3.3L Dodge at 240K+ miles. These 80's and 90's mopars are so reliable that no one notices.

You can buy a running Yugo. Doesn't make it the norm for the brand....

I've always believed that the mid 90's Honda Accord was one of the most reliable cars ever. I still see many of them in snow filled Chicago chugging along. Yeah, they are rusted but seem to keep running.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Odd...no Chrysler...

You can buy a running Yugo. Doesn't make it the norm for the brand....

Those late 80's/early 90's Chryslers were solid cars. A 2.2/2.5 TBI in front of a 3 speed will run forever. The 3.3 was also a great powertrain.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Originally Posted By: Leo99

Agree 100%! SO tired of reading about 'reliable' vehicles that go something like 600k, but the engine was rebuilt twice, and the tranny was replaced....

A transmission rebuild was normal, but I have seen many Panther cars over 350,000 miles on untouched original engines!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
addyguy said:
A transmission rebuild was normal, but I have seen many Panther cars over 350,000 miles on untouched original engines!

I have seen 350k+ on a variety of vehicles(domestic/japanese/german) untouched when a key factor of a manual transmission was there. These are long distance commuters from NH/RI into Boston hub. The auto transmission is weak point of upper mileage vehicles.

Problem with the list is that at six of them are really only two.

Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Yukon XL. Basically same vehicle. That's four on the list that should be one. Two are shorter, two are longer, but same guts.

And then two more are the same. Silverado 2500 = Sierra 2500 with a badge change.

And I wonder if the Toyota drive trains are shared amongst the 4 models listed? Not a Toyota guy so I truly do not know.

How dumb do these auto writers think we are? It's insulting to see a Top 10 list that is only really 5 or 6...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back