Maintenance / Oil Tips on BMW 335i (2009)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this forum after working through a sludge issue with my Passat 1.8T. In reading several posts I saw several references on the need to warm up AND cool down your engine the right way when a turbo is involved. My BMW has twin turbos so I thought I'd ask folks for suggestions on how to treat her right--specifically on letting it cool down (before I shut it off?). Appreciate any thoughts.

P.S.--The helpfulness of people on BITOG is amazing...my hat is off to Trav and the rest of the helpful community.

Are there any guidelines in the owner's manual regarding turbo cool down?

Many modern turbos have built-in mechanisms to continue circulating oil even after you turn off the engine, so you really don't need to do anything special. I'm sure someone with a recent turbocharged BMW will chime in. If not, check on a dedicated BMW forum for your model.

Don't go full throttle and the turn the car off. Idling into your parking spot is enough. Driving the car gently is enough to warm it up.

If it is heat soaked, your electric waterpump will run for a time after shutdown.

Best bet is run approved synthetic oil and dont go crazy on long change intervals.

Been driving turbos 27 yrs, never bothered idoling to cool them down, unless your spooling them up and hammering them.

most have water cooling on the center sections to pull the heat away from the bearing.

But BMW wants approved oils meeting their spec.

Are you sure your not referring to twin scroll?

My former neighbor has X1's.

Just run Mobil1 0w40 euro formula and you'll be fine. Just use common sense....if you beat a turbo and then shut it off it's like throwing olive oil in a red hot frying pan and letting it sit there and burn away.

Last edited:
Or tap water injested from (if direct) intake. Cant do it if the intake feeds a ressonation box before the runners in...

Last edited:
Only 35k miles on the car (hard top convertible so not an every day driver). I do hear a valve tick of some kind that comes and goes. Are they known for this?

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Or tap water injested from (if direct) intake. Cant do it if the intake feeds a ressonation box before the runners in...

You can't do water. The deposits are baked on. The only thing that works is a manual cleaning.

I'm not too sure on the lifter noise. I know the N52 had some lifter noises that were considered normal, but I'm not sure if the same theory applies to the N54.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back