I hate recycling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the amount of fluids I accumulate within two to three months, plus a box of filters. I'm not sure if you guys have it easy or not. But many recycle centres limit recycling to 20L or about 5 gallons. As many Canadian Tires enforce this rule in my area.

Yes those are all full.
1QhA9ay.jpg

The city dump where I live allows you to dispose of 50 liters at a time.

Is all of that for personal use only? Sounds like you need to make multiple trips to get rid of all of that.

The local Autozone doesn't care how much oil you bring them as long as you take back your containers.

I find it too easy to push the bottle of old oil aside saying I'll dump it later. While I'm waiting for later I end up with half a dozen or more containers of used oil.

In the old days we, myself and the neighbors used to dump it on the dusty road out back to soak into the ground. Today that's illegal do it's back to the dusty road. It's too bad. We almost had the job completed before the ban.

Originally Posted By: JC1
The city dump where I live allows you to dispose of 50 liters at a time.

Is all of that for personal use only? Sounds like you need to make multiple trips to get rid of all of that.

Maybe 5-10% is customers vehicles / equipment. The rest is all the farm equipment / vehicles and family vehicles.

I might drive a little bit out of my way to go to a city that's more urban to do the dumping. Since more people go to dealerships and quick lubes therefore maybe less DIYers.

Last edited:
I love recycling. I usually get paid 30 to 35 cents a gallon. I store mine in a 275 gallon tote and call them when its full. Some of my friends and family donate to my tote on occasion.

That's why, back when he was still actively farming the entire farm, dad put in a waste oil heater in his maintenance shop. A lot of the farmers around here that I know use waste oil heat in at least some of their buildings.

Originally Posted By: Run
I could feed it to my oil eating truck.

I'm guessing the Ford.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I love recycling. I usually get paid 30 to 35 cents a gallon. I store mine in a 275 gallon tote and call them when its full. Some of my friends and family donate to my tote on occasion.

I phoned the recycling company for Canadian Tire, (M&R Recycling). They basically told me to f off and go dump it at Canadian Tire.

Run, I have a seperate jug there that was 5W40 Shell Rotella T6 used for 13,000KM you want it?

Last edited:
Farmer,

Id say take a cart from outside and put all your oil in it and leave it there. I used to do that with little green propane canisters at campgrounds til they finally smartened up and decided to have a drop off for them to be recycled. Leaving it in CT cart in parking lot is likely better then dumping it anywhere else.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72

I phoned the recycling company for Canadian Tire, (M&R Recycling). They basically told me to f off and go dump it at Canadian Tire.

Run, I have a seperate jug there that was 5W40 Shell Rotella T6 used for 13,000KM you want it?

Some of the places in Canada are hypocrites. We should be allowed to dump that much if we generate it. I think there would only be a problem if you were dumping a ton of fluids once a month. They get paid for it I'm sure.

Last edited:
I just got rid of 12 gallons. Put them all in the car and asked how they would take. When I reached the limit I went to another. 3 parts stores I was done! There's 6 part stores within 2 miles of the house.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Farmer,

Id say take a cart from outside and put all your oil in it and leave it there. I used to do that with little green propane canisters at campgrounds til they finally smartened up and decided to have a drop off for them to be recycled. Leaving it in CT cart in parking lot is likely better then dumping it anywhere else.

Signs all over CT briefly explaining that the area is under surveillance and no dumping at certain ones.

One CT has some person constantly watching how much you bring in at the door beside the shop. Organizing and pouring to the large waste oil container.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Take multiple people
smile.gif

Or just take a bit each trip.

I usually do this, but its ideal for me to just drop it all off at one store and be done with it. But only if it was that easy haha.

Believe they hafta PAY to dispose of it now. There's no market for used oil any more due to oil prices hence their belief it's cheaper to pay someone to police this than accept any/all disposers problems.

WRT to the used coolant if you're on a sewer you can literally just dump it down your drain as the wastewater treatment plants do handle this. Beings that you're a farmer tho it's unlikely that you're on a sewer line.

I put about 25 gallons on my trailer and took to the back of O'Reillys. They weren't too happy.

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
Believe they hafta PAY to dispose of it now. There's no market for used oil any more due to oil prices hence their belief it's cheaper to pay someone to police this than accept any/all disposers problems.

WRT to the used coolant if you're on a sewer you can literally just dump it down your drain as the wastewater treatment plants do handle this. Beings that you're a farmer tho it's unlikely that you're on a sewer line.

I'm on a septic field so I have to recycle. Not allowed to do bad things at my place.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup

There's some truth to that.

We run as high a percentage of used oil in the boiler support oil (diesel otherwise) to keep costs down...and while it's not marginal to run the recycled oil, the gap/savings are a lot smaller than when it was $1.80/L for diesel.

For any interested, here's some analysis of the mixes.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4026826/UOA_mash_ups....#Post4026826

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back