Is the Toyota 0w-20 recommendation for CAFE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is 5w-30 actually better for longevity? I ask because I noticed that the recommendations for the 3.5L 2GR-FE V6 used to be 5w-30 in prior years and now it is 0w-20.

I also noticed that in Australia, the current recommendation is still 5w-30.

So does anyone have an opinion about whether 5w-30 is still better for longevity?

You won't notice any difference or have any problems with 0w20. If you're still not convinced, consider M1 0w30, a light 30, so it splits the difference
smile.gif

My 2GR-FE in my Rav4 still calls for 5w-30 so that's what I run, to my knowledge it was never backspec'd for the Rav4.

I dont think an mfr would blindly do something for CAFE without properly insuring the oil wouldnt cause any adverse affects. You would have a seriously hard time proving that oil weight caused issues...also...Australia is a much hotter climate then USA/Canada.

Never had a problem with 0w20, 5w20, or 5w30 in any of my toyota's in Texas heat.

All are currently using 5w20 synpower. Neither burns a drop and both are nearing 100k.

Pretty sure the V6 Rav4 with a rated 3500 lbs towing capacity and no oil cooler will remain 5w-30 as the recommendation, though I'm sure a 20 weight would be fine as well.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Is 5w-30 actually better for longevity? I ask because I noticed that the recommendations for the 3.5L 2GR-FE V6 used to be 5w-30 in prior years and now it is 0w-20.

So does anyone have an opinion about whether 5w-30 is still better for longevity?

You're asking the wrong question.
What you really want to know is whether your engine will last as long as the rest of the vehicle if a 0W-20 grade oil is used.
I think that given the way in which you can use the vehicle in this country, the answer must be yes.
You'll never use the available power for very long nor will you be driving in the young hundreds for very long in this country.
For the speeds you can sustain here, a 0W-20 is as thick an oil as you need.
I'd doubt that Toyota would risk its hard earned reputation in a market as important to it as this one is by recommending an oil which would seriously imperil engine life just to win some CAFE credits it doesn't need.
Most engines are happy on a variety of grades. You could probably find some markets for which the 20W-50 grade is among those recommended for this engine. Doesn't mean that that's the optimal grade for it.

fdcg27,
nice post and I agree.

I've not come across a single paper from a researcher or OEM (Stuff I've got is mostly Honda Papers, no Toyota) that has said that 0W20 was ever used to improve engine longevity. every paper cites economy or CO2 emissions.

Honda cite "acceptable" wear rates, which provided the engine is in good condition to the time the chassis is junked is an entirely acceptable engineering compromise...no OEM is going to leave a "pile of failed engines at the side of the road" as the popular strawman posits.

If it were mine, I'd run a Mobil 1 EP, in either 0W20 or 5W20 depending on your starting needs.

Neither of those are available in Oz so I couldn't, and would probably end up in ILSAC 5W30 ranges.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

You're asking the wrong question.
What you really want to know is whether your engine will last as long as the rest of the vehicle if a 0W-20 grade oil is used.
I think that given the way in which you can use the vehicle in this country, the answer must be yes.
You'll never use the available power for very long nor will you be driving in the young hundreds for very long in this country.
For the speeds you can sustain here, a 0W-20 is as thick an oil as you need.
I'd doubt that Toyota would risk its hard earned reputation in a market as important to it as this one is by recommending an oil which would seriously imperil engine life just to win some CAFE credits it doesn't need.
Most engines are happy on a variety of grades. You could probably find some markets for which the 20W-50 grade is among those recommended for this engine. Doesn't mean that that's the optimal grade for it.

Yes, you worded my question better than I did. Very nice post.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
http://www.toyota.com/esq/pdf/2011_NA_EnvRep.pdf

Very interesting. Especially this quote: "Toyota’s engineers evaluate body design, engines,
transmissions, vehicle weight and other factors to find ways to
improve fuel efficiency. For example, over 50% of the vehicles
offered in North America use low viscosity SAE 0W-20
multigrade engine oil. This low viscosity oil enables increased
fuel economy over higher viscosity oils by reducing friction
while maintaining necessary lubrication in the engine
. "

I am also wondering if anybody is aware if any minor adjustments are made to the engine across different markets to account for different viscosities?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
http://www.toyota.com/esq/pdf/2011_NA_EnvRep.pdf

Very interesting. Especially this quote: "Toyota’s engineers evaluate body design, engines,
transmissions, vehicle weight and other factors to find ways to
improve fuel efficiency. For example, over 50% of the vehicles
offered in North America use low viscosity SAE 0W-20
multigrade engine oil. This low viscosity oil enables increased
fuel economy over higher viscosity oils by reducing friction
while maintaining necessary lubrication in the engine
. "

I am also wondering if anybody is aware if any minor adjustments are made to the engine across different markets to account for different viscosities?

Doesn't reducing friction equal less heat and less wear? All I know is, I Have been using 0-20 for several years now and my engine appear to perform like new.

well I have the same engine from the Camry and rav4 a 2ar-fe 4 cylinder ,it calls for 0w20/5w20 for the usa,but they do give u wiggle room for adding a sentence in the manual,a higher viscosity would be "BETTER" suited if driven in high speed or extreme load. I've been using Pennzoil platinum 5w30 since last year with no ill effect in mpg actually I should make a video showing it gets better when I'm not stomping on it.like i said Toyota recommends 5w30 for my engine(2arfe), everywhere else in the world but the usa.its all for café cuz again I feel no difference in drivability its smooth and doesn't hurt mpgs.i say go to town.

Last edited:
I have 2007 2.4L 4 cylinder RAV4 for which Toyota specs only Xw20. Two things often come to mind: 1) Many of the hot climate crowd here (Oz, Texas, Florida) folks get me to thinking, being Phoenix is also a hot climate, if at least going to Xw30 make more sense than not 2) I notice whenever the dealer changed the oil (which used to be occasional and now is never) the invoice always showed the put 5w30 in it (if you believe the invoice) rather than Xw20. I always attributed that to dealer laziness but maybe they actually are considering the climate?

I've been using 5w20 syn in it but I also have an '07 Prius which runs 5w30 and a "mine to maintain" Soul which runs either and sometimes I consider consolidating everything to Xw30 for the sake of just stocking up on one oil.

I guess it was about time for another thin oil/CAFE monster/engine "protection"/what they list in non-USA owner's manuals thread.

Even from a poster who has been on here for over 13 years.

WOW, just amazed the question is asked when all I have to do is look inside a 15' and 16' owners manual to find te CORRECT answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back