F1 - 2016 Barcelona Test 2, Days 1-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
The second and final F1 preseason test is underway in Barcelona. After Friday, the next time F1 cars roll will be Melbourne!

Most teams had mixed results today with Mercedes, McLaren, Red Bull, Haas, Renault, Ferrari, and Manor all having some sort of issue. That said, with the exception of Haas, most teams posted a decent lap time or lap count.

Mercedes began to show their hand today after using the first test [seemingly] for reliability and endurance testing only; their best time was a 1:23.022s set by Nico Rosberg. Max Verstappen ran the most laps with a total of 144.

Click the link below for lap times and lap counts!
TOV Motorsports - F1 Barcelona Test 2 Summary

Today was somewhat encouraging for them. They've closed the gap to Mercedes to ~1.7s (from ~2.5s) and they are still optimizing the redesigned power unit so I expect to see that number in the 1.2-1.4s range either in Melbourne or just after.

Honda has done it before and they can probably do it again. The problem is that the systems now are just so complicated. Any one component of the "power system" can bring down the whole show.

If this escalation of technical excellence continue maybe the next generation will be racing simulators.

I'd like to see it go the other way. Give teams a minimum weight limit, a restricter plate for 600hp, some safety rules and have at it. I'd like to see them run any configuration, any engine and all on pump gas. You'd certainly see some passing and innovations.

I would suggest the engineers would agree with that. The constructors themselves might not. We'd only have four teams left thanks to a spending war, and they'd, ironically, be most against the change.

Yeah they have to be at last mildly pleased with how testing went. It could be worse...they could be Haas. Anyway they set some OK times and had a pretty good lap count. With more updates set to debut at Melbourne I think they'll be picking up a little better than where they left off last year. I've heard that this year's car has a quali. mode that they can use for one lap that will give them ~30 extra HP, similar to what Merc. has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back