Time to start working on boat for the spring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here. Last warm stretch we replaced the ring gear, today new plugs and the exhaust manifolds go back on.

When I had boats ,I used to be able to work on them most of the winter by putting a blue tarp over it. On cold days it warmed up enough to be very comfortable, while letting enough light in to see what your doing. Plus it kept the rain and snow off it.,,,

I used to keep my SeaRay (s) in inside heated storage....so when it hit 50f I was there with the buffer and meguiars. all of my mechanical work was always done in the Fall before layup.

Every fall I would change oil in engines and transmissions and drain fill coolant reservoir tank (1/2 gallon each engine) Every 4 years new plugs, batteries.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
When I had boats ,I used to be able to work on them most of the winter by putting a blue tarp over it. On cold days it warmed up enough to be very comfortable, while letting enough light in to see what your doing. Plus it kept the rain and snow off it.,,,

That's what we do and it works great.

I am looking at moving from Florida to TN soon and I want to build a enclosed garage for my 24 foot bay boat. I would love to have it in a enclosed garage instead of covered. I do use a sunbrella cover but they are expensive and my dad builds houses so I think I could build one.

Speaking of working on boats, I will not miss the saltwater. I have kodiak stainless steel calipers but the brake pads are almost always glued to the rotor after a outing. I would get a more mountain lake type boat but mine is paid for and I have a bow mounted trolling motor and bass fish local lakes here. Even with a newer boat (2014) they always need some type of work.

Over maintaining a boat is almost the right amount of maintenance. Time on the water is so valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back