Burning Rubber Smell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed new radiator and hoses last week. Being that the hoses are made out of rubber and being that the smell was not there prior to the install, I'm gonna assume that the new hoses are the cause of the burning rubber smell after the car has been driven. Please tell me the smell will go away after awhile. The radiator and hoses are ACDelco brand from RockAuto.

I've known new rubber smell funky for a while but it's always gone away after a few heat cycles. Maybe run it at idle and look for smoke, the pop the bonnet and sniff the new hoses to isolate it.

Got to go with Olas on using the sniffer. Maybe you left a screwdriver resting on an exhaust manifold.

The few hoses I've changed didn't put out any odor. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
Got to go with Olas on using the sniffer. Maybe you left a screwdriver resting on an exhaust manifold.

The few hoses I've changed didn't put out any odor. Kira

+1 I don't think it would be a hose but something else. Run the car at idle and check around. See where exactly the smell is coming from. When you changed the hoses did any antifreeze happen to land on the serp. belt? Not likely but it could be something like that is causing the smell.

Burning rubber smell is not very confidence inspiring - I'm worried they're gonna burst.
If I had it to do over again, I would've ordered the DAYCO version.

If it's the hoses then they are up against something hot. Acdelco makes great hoses among other things and I use them often. I would look over all the work done maybe some thing wasn't routed correctly or had fallen near the exhaust. In general the Delco hoses are superior to dayco.. they use a different compound than dayco at least that is how it was 2-3 years ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back