OEM Prius 2016 (Gen 4) oil-change instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to oil change, if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.

01_crop.png

02_crop.png

03_crop.png

04_crop.png

05_crop.png

It is a very, very easy oil change if you have the correct filter cap. Probably easier than most conventional oil changes with a spin-on filter. I have done many of these myself.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Interesting they have a dry fill spec and a regular change spec. Apparently there is about 0.6 quarts left in the system.

Everybody has that. My Accord holds 5.7qts, but a change is only 4.4qts.

I used to do a very similar job on a 2009 Corolla, the only difference being no undercover to remove.

The most important thing is to have the right oil-filter cap wrench. It's very hard to find a good one and Toyota doesn't actually sell one. I was lucky that I had found a good one years ago. It's the same cap wrench that fits on the most common Toyota spin-on filters, such as most pre-2008 Corollas.

The hard part of the job is to reach the filter cap without raising the car. It was a long stretch for the 2009 Corolla. You also need to remember to lubricate the O-ring. I never use a filter wrench to tighten spin-on filters -- always tighten by hand only -- and for cartridge filters, I use less than the recommended torque, which is too high. Also, I use a lot less than the recommended torque on the drain plug.

I never prefill or soak oil filters or cartridge caps -- messy and unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back