Is BMW the first German marquee to adopt 0W20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what this entails for the rest of the beloved German brands, but what's in the bottle? Platinum 0W20?

I assume LL14FE+ 0W-20 means "fuel efficient"

**2016 BMW 2er (N20) auto now gets 35mpg**

Application includes: For MY2016+ N20, N20+E, B58, B48+E, B46, IB1 + E, and B38 + E

http://bmwfans.info/accessories-catalog/workshop_consumables/bmw_engine_oil_us_version/

SFPLImage225475.jpg

Last edited:
Probably for the U.S. and some other markets. Due to strict speed limits etc. probably BMW is feeling they could use it here.
I know one thing: that oil would never go in my BMW regardless whether engine is N or B.

The B58 uses a twin-wire arc-sprayed coating on the cylinder walls instead of steel liners. One claimed advantage is reduced oil consumption, so perhaps the designers believe an 0W-20 synthetic is appropriate.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
The B58 uses a twin-wire arc-sprayed coating on the cylinder walls instead of steel liners. One claimed advantage is reduced oil consumption, so perhaps the designers believe an 0W-20 synthetic is appropriate.

As far as I know in Europe they still recommend C3 oils for all N and B versions.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

As far as I know in Europe they still recommend C3 oils for all N and B versions.

Yup. Castrol's UK page still recommends Edge 0w-30 (C3) for the N engines. I wasn't able to find any B engine applications.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Yup. Castrol's UK page still recommends Edge 0w-30 (C3) for the N engines. I wasn't able to find any B engine applications.

I think it will stay C3 for EU, and for outside EU in Europe it will stay ACEA A3/B3 B4 LL-01.

The old BMW literature I have with the "approved oils" hints to the existence of the BMW LL-01-FE oils, with a suggestion it is appropriate to use in the N series engines from the N40 to the N73.

The same page also notes these engines can use LL-01, but certainly not LL-04.*

Presumably the new oils still have to cater for the fact that American fuel (among others) is still reasonably high in sulfur. So the redeeming factor is this oil should at least be a reasonably hi-saps product.

Interestingly, I the newer LL oils are presumably not intended as a replacement for the older specifications, but seem to supplement due to the different requirements of other markets and how much engine technology has changed to allow the use of thinner oils.
I say this, as I don't think someone driving a 1997 BMW would be putting in BMW LL-14-FE. Don't even want to think about the lifter tick. LOL
laugh.gif

The product sheet in question was intended for the USA market by the looks of things where LL-04 cannot be used due to the different formulation of the fuel, which would deplete the additive package in the oil long before the BMW 10K or 15K interval was reached.

Last edited:
Probably for the U.S. and some other markets. Due to strict speed limits etc. probably BMW is feeling they could use it here.

I bet the 80 and 85MPH speed limits in Texas that run for hundreds of miles with temps in excess of 100F might tax an oil as much as short runs of autoban speeds.

Originally Posted By: ammolab

I bet the 80 and 85MPH speed limits in Texas that run for hundreds of miles with temps in excess of 100F might tax an oil as much as short runs of autoban speeds.

Not even close!
80-85mph for these engines is almost optimal speed.

Doubtful. Watch the oil temps in this vid:

BMW LL-14FE+ is based on ACEA A1/B1 with some additional requirements. 0W-20 and 5W-20 only, 7.8 cSt KV100 min, 2.6 HTHS min, TBN>9.5.

It is essentially an FE oil for full SAPS applications (so gasoline only). They also have LL-12FE which is based on ACEA C2.

Just up the road in Sweden, Volvo have been specifying 0W-20 for gasoline AND diesel for a while now in their new "VEA" engines.

On those highways is okay to drive 80-85 miles per hour as long as you stay in the right lane and let others pass.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Doubtful. Watch the oil temps in this vid:

For just 2 minutes oil went up 20C from around 90C to 110C, if it was running at top speed for another 10-15 minutes oil temp can be as high as 130-140C. This is why many European and especially German engines require A3/B4 oil.

Now, the same car/engine is running at 80-90 MPH or slower in North America highway, oil temp probably never gets above 90-100 C. With much lower speed and lower temp a thinner oil is better, probably. This video is why I am using QSUD 0W20 in my E430 as of now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back