good source of news?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about some suggestions for online general news browsing? Without a thousand popup ads? Kind of boring at work lately. Preferably unbiased and lets not let this get political please.

NYTimes.com has the most in-depth and comprehensive news in the United States. If you do not read the editorials or opinion articles (which can be political) and just read the plain news pages, you will just get the facts.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
How about some suggestions for online general news browsing? Without a thousand popup ads? Kind of boring at work lately. Preferably unbiased and lets not let this get political please.

Just remember that sterile news is rare, ideology finds its way into most writing. The "victors write the history".
I really do appreciate you trying to get to the unvarnished truth.

Good luck
Smoky

You aren't going to find unbiased news.

If someone says it's not biased, then they subscribe to whatever the news paper tries to push.

I get most of my news here.

Lately I've been walking to the library on Sunday to read the paper. If I had more time I could read multiple papers. I'd look at sites on line but so many of them are loaded with clickbait ads and take forever to load. I do watch the news on PBS once in a while (the family's annoyment).

Online news, I've just been avoiding. I'll look once in a while for local news or the weather, and that's about it.

Originally Posted By: bradepb

You could customize https://news.google.com/ pretty much any way you want; aggregating news from varying sources for a wide array of topics.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
You could customize https://news.google.com/ pretty much any way you want; aggregating news from varying sources for a wide array of topics.

This is what I use and recommend.

There is no source that is unbiased. You are better off choosing multiple sources understanding their bias.

I range from Fox News, BBC and NPR to get a cross section of news.

Originally Posted By: WillsYoda
NYTimes.com has the most in-depth and comprehensive news in the United States. If you do not read the editorials or opinion articles (which can be political) and just read the plain news pages, you will just get the facts.

I get a "Morning Briefing" and "Evening Briefing" emailed by NYT every weekday. Very convenient. I am not a subscriber, but I still get it.

There are no CBS radio affiliates in my town, so I listen to this:

http://feeds.cbsnews.com/podcast_icast_1

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Originally Posted By: cjcride
BBC

No. Liberal and biased.

Journalists are usually highly perceptive and analytical people, requiring the use of their frontal cortex. Conservatives tend to use their brain stem and amygdala - you know, the reptilian functions.

So, yeah, liberalism and journalism do seem to be correlated.

Newspapers are like realtors in that they aren't really needed or wanted anymore.

I typically get news from drudge. OR shall I say I read links posted on drudge. Drudge links to everything from the NYT, cbs news, fox, BBC, etc all over.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Newspapers are like realtors in that they aren't really needed or wanted anymore.

I typically get news from drudge. OR shall I say I read links posted on drudge. Drudge links to everything from the NYT, cbs news, fox, BBC, etc all over.

Look at what you just wrote. Drudge is just an aggregator (leech). Where do you think Drudge gets their news? Hint: "NYT, cbs news, fox..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back