help! Antique wood finish ruined

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

I have an old (probably 100 years old) dresser that my grandparents gave me. They didnt think much of it; it was in their attic for probably 50 years... the finish was begining to devellop microcracks, and looked generally dry. However, all in all, it is nice, I like it, and have been using it in my apartment.

Well, I put a fishtank on it, and underneath I put a piece of linoleum. In time, water has made its way underneath and has caused the finish underneath to start to get bad.

The tank has been on there for about a year, and the damage is relatively minor in size, but I can see it and fear the worst.

The finish is a thin coating of clear, semi-shiny covering agent. From time and drying out, it has develloped lots of tiny cracks, triangle and trapezoid shaped. They are all about 1/2 mm in size, and all are connected. Despite these (which have been there since I got it), the dresser looks good with a coating of old english.

The coating, where water had contacted it has turned a whitish yellowish color. In some particularly bad spots, it seems to have dissolved somewhat.

I have coated it in old english wood oil, and it looks a little bit better. I tried in one small spot to scrape off the upper surface with a scotch brite scouring pad (didnt want to be too aggressive), but this didnt do much of anything. It seemed to help make the old english work a little bit better, but not significantly.

So, Id like ideas on how to (a) get the white coloring off of the finish (b) replace or re-build up the surface where it is discolored or dissolved. (c) get the color back.

I know that some people have refinished the (geavily coated) wood trim in old mercedes benz cars VERY nicely with tung oil or something similar. It creates a dark, rich color and coats the wood somewhat. But I dont know much about it. Also, would it be best to sand the bad areas, or just coat directly?

I wish this site let me post pictures. Ill post a couple if I find a place to easily host them.

Thanks for any help that you can give me.

JMH

Sounds like maybe it's a french polish (Shellac, ethanol, linseed oil and elbow grease), and sounds exactly like what happened when Dad put a hot load of fish and chips on it (I think that Dad used linseed oil and elbow grease, but wouldn't trust my memory on that one).

labman might have an answer, as he used to work with these finishes on an industrial level.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Is the cover coat soluble in alcohol?

70% isopropyl rubbed on with a cotton swab did not dissolve the cover coat. Nor did it remove the white discolored areas.

Rubbing with the swab made a brownish coloration on it. The elbow grease was what was doing it, as the same color was showing up on the paper towels when I was rubbing old english polish on it.

Thanks!

JMH

It probably is an old varnish then...you can't really reflow it. Bronze wool and turpentine....or strip it all the way and start again.

Maybe get a book or three on the subject from your library. (Sometime this is actually better than the web)

Strip and refinish the top since you are getting the whitish color which indicates delamination of the finish from substrate. If its a valuable peice I would get estimates from a expert on refinishing, otherwise do as Pabs said and read a book on refinishing. Its a long, tedious process that will take time to do it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back