Air and cabin filter 50000 km with pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have changed both filters today. These are the original filters which came with the car, Subaru BRZ.

Dirty side of the air filter:

Clean side of the air filter:

The cabin filter looked dirty at certain areas. I doubt it caused a lot of resistance, though. The new filter did not make any noticeable difference. In my opinion changing this filter at the recommended interval of 10000 km is a waste of money.

The air filter on the other hand looked almost clean. If you judge the filter condition by looking at it you may be wrong. Some time ago I started to feel lack of engine power at higher RPMs. So I decided to change both filters at the same time. Immediately I felt that the engine became much peppier up to the max RPM. Surprisingly, even the stability control kicked in at about 6500 RPM on the dry road in the second gear which never happened before. A lot more power with a fresh filter.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Same air filter that m 04 Camry V6 uses. Subaru actually came with a Toyota air filter?

The Subaru BRZ and Scion FRS were a joint venture between Toyota and Subaru. If I remember correctly, the engine is basically a Subaru boxer with a toyota designed fuel system, so that would probably explain the Toyota air filter. I believe subaru did most of the engineering work on the car, not sure which manufacturer actually builds them though.

brz13-engine1.jpg

This is what the engine cover says: Toyota - Subaru. The oil filter has a Subaru M20x1.5 thread, though.

I noticed 2 more thing with the new air filter: 1. The RPMs drop slower. Since I have a manual gearbox it is quite easy to notice when I engage the clutch. Before I had to change gears very quickly and release the pedal before the engine PRMs drop too much. Now I have comfortable amount of time to do the same. 2. Engine braking is less intensive now. When going downhill I need to use the brake pedal more on the same road I used hundreds of times before. I think these two thing are closely related to each other and to the fact that the new filter may give less vacuum (resistance) in the air intake. I find it interesting. I would have never thought that an air filter resistance may affect the engine braking.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Same air filter that m 04 Camry V6 uses. Subaru actually came with a Toyota air filter?

Yeah, that's so weird !!!

What in the world does Toyota have to do with the BRZ ??????

smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back