How often do you pop the hood

Status
Not open for further replies.
...to look at fluids and everything else? Every week? Every couple of weeks? Let the dealer just deal with it?

Two of my cars are up there in age so I take a gander every 2 wks or so. I spend like 5 minutes making sure fluid levels are good, nothing's overtly busted and that all the dipsticks & reservoir caps are on nice and tight. On my Pilot, I only open the hood every 2 months when adding washer fluid.

Depends on the weather. Also, my hood latch requires a bit of pull, which can be difficult, which makes me inclined to open it less often.

on the bmw, every 2-3 days because i have a radiator leak. about a quarter cup of fluid every time

on the kia, maybe once a month.

on the jeep, never. mud boggin machine with NO issues or anything.

every week at least once, sometimes twice, just the simple oil level and coolant level, especially nearing the end of the OCI, to see if the engine lost some oil.

Every week on the Rav and every month on the Camry. Have to twist my son's arm to check the oil on the Corolla.

depends on the vehicle.
If I find that there are no fluid consumption issues with the vehicle then there's less need to check.
If I find there is some issue, then I change to match what's expected.

For those checking every week, don't you just run into there's nothing to do every week, and adjust your schedule to 2weeks?

Last edited:
Usually about every 3-4 weeks, depending on driving conditions. Vehicles are in pretty good shape, so I don't need to do it more often.

Probably once a month, have to add some oil. Bad valve guide seals. Nothing else changes though. Typical Toyota, boring, nothing to worry about under the hood.

Rotary engine = gotta check the oil every few fill-ups. It needs a quart every 1000-2000 miles, depending on how I drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back