Battery Charger recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
My 25+ yr old Craftsman charger quit. It makes the same humming noise but no voltage, no reset fuse, and I'm no electrician. No need for something fancy and no brand loyalty here, so what works for anyone?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If I ever need one I would go with what 901Memphis recommends.

Same here
thumbsup2.gif

suppose it really depends on how you see you need to use the thing. and how often you intend to use it.

I personally would lean towards the idiotproof smart trickle chargers; like the batteryminder or noco mentioned above.

but i'm not one who has to frequently have to go to great lengths to recharge or recondition assortments of batteries.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
suppose it really depends on how you see you need to use the thing. and how often you intend to use it.

I personally would lean towards the idiotproof smart trickle chargers; like the batteryminder or noco mentioned above.

but i'm not one who has to frequently have to go to great lengths to recharge or recondition assortments of batteries.

The pro Logix charger I recommended is very versatile and not only can charge any 6/12v battery but also has a very nice battery maintainer function and can be left hooked up indefinitely just like a battery tender. The 20 amp rating is a must for deep cycle agms which accept huge current.

If I'm going to recommend good chargers I can't forget to mention Ctek also. Everything they have is quality but some of them are pricey. Noco is good too, I would want to get the G7200 though to have more features not available in the lower amp models.

I recommend two chargers. A fancy microprocessor controlled one, and one for BRUTE FORCE POWER.

In my case, when a battery fails to start, it's usually two things, sat around a while and discharged/left radio on... or the battery is shorted/weak/dead and need to get to town-only brute force is needed here when the battery is trash.

I have an 8amp Stanley Fat Max from Walmart. I like it. It's non-sparking, reverse polarity sensing. (Microprocessor controlled)

And you can choose a special setting for small valved/agm batteries for bikes/lawnmowers/etc.

Also supports the 2-pin SAE connector.

Goes into auto float. I've verified it will pump out a full 8amps with current clamp.

Good little float/charger for the price.

I had to buy a new charger recently and I bought a Stanley.

Watch out for the Schumacher's. They will overcharge at 15.5V

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

That's nothing my last Schumacher went up to over 16.1v

CTEK mus 4.3 charger.
-winter temperature compensated,
-reconditioning option,
-maintenance option (battery can be connected for months)
-desulfation of neglected batteries
-solid state design (no internal relays)

I have 3 of them.
They truely can charge batteries to 100% state of charge.
Honda Civic, Accord, marine battery (120Ah),
Check OEM chargers for Porsche, they are CTEKs too!

022514-CTEK-battery-charger-3-chart-633x360.jpg

Last edited:
Schumacher charger or maintainer? My Schumacher 2A maintainer does not over charge. Just took my Volvo battery off that was on it for 3.5 months straight. Battery is in great shape.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Schumacher charger or maintainer? My Schumacher 2A maintainer does not over charge. Just took my Volvo battery off that was on it for four 3.5 months straight. Battery is in great shape.

My charger that cooked my batteries was the diehard version of the SSC1500 which is the 2/10/15 amp model it was sold as diehard dh15a

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Was the battery cold? That's not an abnormal voltage for a battery that's been out in snowy weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back