Mobil 1 M1 0W-40 "FS" SN VOA

All right folks, I finally got the VOA for the new M1 0W40 FS. Honestly, beside the thinner viscosity and maybe a tad more boron/phosphorus, it's the same oil, but what do I know.

Here's the link to the older version:

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting - it is just 'barely' a 40-weight...just like Edge 0W-40, which is about 12.8 cst.

These new 0W-40's might as well be 0W-30's...add a bit of fuel, or a bit of shear, and you are a 30-weight.

This intrigued the late Gary Allan a lot...why market it as a 0W-40, when in reality it is a 30-weight.

Beyond that, love the add-pack and the higher shot of Boron.

Nice to see this. Thanks for posting it. Add pack was beefed up, though with lowered TBN and operating temp viscosity.

Would this be considered an improvement over the old stuff? I'll probably buy a jug this year using the Mobil 1 rebate. First, it has to show up in the stores.

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
Only an UOA will tell us if the GTL basestock is beter at staying in grade, someone hurry and drive.

It is so close to a 30 grade when fresh, it is unlikely that it will "stay in grade."
smile.gif

Yep movable to a lower grade, now if it was also partially made of mPAO - instead of partial decene, would stay in grade even with most part from the groupIII+ ...

Mobil's SpectraSyn Elite (mPAO) products are not deemed hazardous and subsequently aren't required to be on an MSDS.

http://www.msds.exxonmobil.com/IntApps/psims/SearchResults.aspx

Search for SpectraSyn Elite.

Originally Posted By: XOM Chemical
This material is not hazardous according to regulatory guidelines (see (M)SDS Section 15).

Subsequently there are no CAS #'s listed.

On the other hand, their light (4cSt and lower) regular PAO products (just search for Spectrasyn) are listed as hazardous and lists CAS numbers such as these examples:

1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED
68037-01-4
0 - 100%
H304
1-DECENE, POLYMER WITH 1-OCTENE AND 1-DODECENE, HYDROGENATED
163149-28-8
0 - 100%
H304
1-DODECENE, POLYMER WITH 1-DECENE, HYDROGENATED
151006-60-9
0 - 100%
H304

So if you are making the assumption that their products don't have mPAO or heavier regular PAO in them because it doesn't show up on the safety data sheets (which is not an oil recipe) then the premise that assumption is based on is seriously flawed.

There are only a few of their PAO bases that appear to be listed as hazardous and listing CAS #'s.

Was in 2 of my local Walmarts today. Every jug of M1 0w-40 was the new FS. No old stuff left. Guess, it's now readily available.

69GTX: I was in the Wal Mart I walk to and there were 2 jugs of the older M1 0w40 so I got both then submitted the receipt for the rebate. I'll mix with some M1 5w20 EP or.....

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Mobil's SpectraSyn Elite (mPAO) products are not deemed hazardous and subsequently aren't required to be on an MSDS.

http://www.msds.exxonmobil.com/IntApps/psims/SearchResults.aspx

Search for SpectraSyn Elite.

This material is not hazardous according to regulatory guidelines (see (M)SDS Section 15).

Subsequently there are no CAS #'s listed.

On the other hand, their light (4cSt and lower) regular PAO products (just search for Spectrasyn) are listed as hazardous and lists CAS numbers such as these examples:

1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED
68037-01-4
0 - 100%
H304
1-DECENE, POLYMER WITH 1-OCTENE AND 1-DODECENE, HYDROGENATED
163149-28-8
0 - 100%
H304
1-DODECENE, POLYMER WITH 1-DECENE, HYDROGENATED
151006-60-9
0 - 100%
H304

So if you are making the assumption that their products don't have mPAO or heavier regular PAO in them because it doesn't show up on the safety data sheets (which is not an oil recipe) then the premise that assumption is based on is seriously flawed.

There are only a few of their PAO bases that appear to be listed as hazardous and listing CAS #'s.

Great info, thanks!
smile.gif

Back